1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VOB2AVI

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by RJMJ, Dec 19, 2001.

1. RJMJ

RJMJ Guest

I am using Ulead DVD Factory. It will only open files that are Mpegs or AVI. When I strip DVD's, the files are VOB. How can I convert the VOB to AVI? I would like to try their mpeg2 encoder.

2. Ketola

Ketola Fighting ninjas Staff Member

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

And to ease your pain -- decoding VOBs to AVI takes like 10 - 30GB of HDD space, try this:

Use DVD2AVI (URL above from Ketola) and don't save the file as AVI, but same it as project -- DVD2AVI will then create a .d2v file for you.

Get VFAPI Reader Codec from here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/vfapi_codec.cfm

...install it and open VFAPIConvert.exe found from the package. Open .d2v file you just created and save it as .AVI -- this .AVI is so called pseudo-AVI -- small file, just like the .d2v file is. Then just use whatever tool you're using to open the AVI you just saved. Should work -- remember that you CAN'T delete the .vob files, because the data comes actually from them, it just goes through two interfaces (VFAPI and DVD2AVI).

4. RJMJ

RJMJ Guest

I installed VFAPIC. I opened the file *.D2V. I didn't get a chance to select *.AVI. Is this the default? I am not able to select any other options. And I selected the button "CONVERT". It started converting the file. You said that this would be a small file. This is a very large file. It is going to take about 5-6 hours to convert. Is this correct? My VOB file is very large. What I am trying to do is convert the VOB files to AVI. This way I can use it with Ulead DVD movie Factory. It works better using avi files when creating a menu. Do anyone out there have any ideas on how I can convert VOB to AVI with sound?

5. dRD

Converting a .d2v file to pseudo-AVI with VFAPIConvert normally takes like 10minutes, so something's definately wrong with your setup.

And creating a pseudo-AVI is definately the best way to create an AVI out of VOBs because if you extract the raw-data AVI out of VOB, you need to have 40-60GB of free HDD space and either way the file system doesn't allow you to create file of that size.

6. RJMJ

RJMJ Guest

Do you have any ideas what is wrong? I have followed the previous instructions and can't get it to work. Could it be the version of DVD2AVI? I am using 1.84. Any suggestions would be helpful.

7. dRD

Don't know -- tweak with different versions and see what happens.

And for audio -- you need to multiplex the audio with the AVI using VirtualDub and save it as a frame server and leave the Dub running and open that frame server AVI with ULead (in order to squeeze down the amount of free HDD space you need).