1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voiding Warranty

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by darkradar, Oct 6, 2007.

1. darkradar

darkradar Member

Is there a way to play backup games the xbox 360 without voiding the warranty. If that is not possible, will cooling solutions for the xbox 360 eliminate the threat of the red ring of death? because that is the only thing I am worried about.

2. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

If you have the extended 3 year warranty or just purchased your 360 you shouldn't be worried about heating issues, if your 360 should fail send it to microsoft for repair.

You can't avoid voiding the warranty if your intentions are to play backups. The drive needs to be flashed with hacked firmware, you can achieve this by pulling out the drive connecting it to a pc. Just by opening the case (as there are no visible screws) the warranty is automatically void.

3. darkradar

darkradar Member

but there is no way to flash the firmware without opening the console? Also, the red-ring of death, does it happen because of overheating and do cooling stations work and prevent that?

4. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

The red ring does happen due to overheating issues and hardware failure. Cooling stations do prevent overheating but it still can't be avoided. Launch consoles suffer these issues. It should be non existant in the newer revised consoles. Mine was a launch console, I've returned it console so many times, I've suffered the scratched discs, broken in pieces discs, any failure you can think of. I got another console from microsoft 3 months ago my fifth box along with the 3 year warranty and it has been error free. I've even put the console to the test by giving much hours of play. Once up to 6 hours of play in one sitting, and the base of the console expelled almost no warmth.

If you still have your warranty, don’t think about modding it just yet. If you have another console you could mod it and fix the issues it has with aftermarket parts like I’ve done. The other one I'll keep returing it, getting a newer console everytime. The only way to flash the dvd drive is by pulling it out of the console, which would void your warranty; there is no workaround.