1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

volunteers wanted for research project

Discussion in 'Audio' started by pitonik, Aug 31, 2004.

1. pitonik

pitonik Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Anastasia, I am currently looking for volunteers to participate in a research project I am undertaking as part of my masters degree at the University of Bristol, UK. In a nutshell, the project investigates cooperation on the Internet within the context of online music file-sharing. So, I would like to interview some former or current users of such programmes as Napster, Gnutella, Kazaa, AudioGalaxy, eMule, Soulseek, WinMX etc. and thought that I might find some people who could help me here.

The interviews would be conducted either via e-mail or online messengers, and each should not take over an hour in total. I guarantee anonymity to anyone who chooses to participate in this study, and all information would be given away voluntarily (this means you wouldn’t have to answer the questions you are uncomfortable with), and it would be used solely for research purposes. At this stage I need to find enough people to participate in the study before I start interviewing anyone, so please e-mail me if you are interested. I will also supply further information and answer any questions through e-mail.
    The address is pitonik@ yahoo.com .
    Thank you for your time and (possibly) assistance.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

pitonik

I can understand your gaurantee of anonymity but it's not worth the paper it's printed on. It's doubtful that you'll find any volunteers because giving out one email just as you did is against forum rules. In your whole spiel sounds fishy to me so good luck but I don't think you'll get it here. BTW, you aren't going to promise an Ipod or a flat screen are you? LOL
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  3. pitonik

pitonik Member

yeah, i wish i could promise something... if you live in the bristol, UK area i could promise to buy you a drink ;)

its too bad, and i'm well aware that people are not too keen on participating, because my purpose is to actually compare what people do with their mp3s and what the industry thinks and says they do...

i didn't realise posting an e-mail address was against the rules, i apologise.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No apology necessary I wasn't offended but imagine this. A record or movie company representative joins AD and pretends to represent a seemingly benign cause. Members who are interested give out their emails and are ultimately arrested for pirating and being stupid. Why not start a thread where participants can remain anonymous?

5. pitonik

pitonik Member

i more than realise all the fualts of this approach, but there are reasons for doing it this way, instead of just putting up a questionnaire.
    i certainly hear what you're saying. but...
    believe me, record companies have far more efficient ways for locating users than getting someone to register and post on numerous message boards at 1 o'clock in the morning, where the response rate is probably 1 in 100 (and this is still optimistic), and then spending time and money on the investgations into people's e-mail addresses.

6. EsirnuS

EsirnuS Guest

Like sophocles says,

you may have all the good intention in the world but the high profile discussion regarding online file sharing, especially mp3 files, is one where people wont be dishing out email addy's or any other personal info haphazardly.

maybe a questionairre in the forum here will get you the base answers you require with the possiblity of follow up private message disscussions with those who volunteer. this way anonymity is reserved by the volunteers and you get to ask your questions

Es

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Why not the more usual .ac.uk type email address, instead of the ubiquitous yahoo?
    Surely a research project would be , er, better researched?

8. pitonik

pitonik Member

i don't know if it went through but i sent you a private message with a .ac.uk address - it's not very easy to access from home plus I have 100Mb at yahoo

and yes, it's all a giant conspiracy