1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vonets Wifi Bridge

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by gerrard08, May 2, 2012.

1. gerrard08

gerrard08 Regular member

Hi guys, im thinking of buying a Vonets Wifi Bridge, for my Blade HD box.
    Which one should i buy, the BLUE or the BLACK one. They cost around £21 on ebay. any1 know if i can get them cheaper? cheers.

2. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

bought vonets. absolute pants. so an alternative. buy a dir 300 dlink router, load ddwrt on it and set it up as a repeater and then all is good. costs £8 plus postage of £2 but it works. Check it out on ebay and learn a new trick :)

3. Alfa33Man

Alfa33Man Member

Hmmm..Learn a new trick...

I have a Buffalo router,,,and have read up on the ddwrt..

Still not clear on what can be done with it though...(Still learning).

Thanks for the heads-up Fintannl.

4. gerrard08

gerrard08 Regular member

going back to the vonets guys...which is the better quality, in terms of signal, etc etc

is it the BLUE or BLACK?
    the range also confused me, different websites states 30Metres and another states 100Metres, some say BLUE one is a copy and not genuine, whats the black one like? any1..cheeers guys

5. darn24p

darn24p Regular member

i use 4 of them they are ok but im starting to find they drop off connection every 10 mins or so i change the channel up then down and its fine again but i have now moved over to sumvision 200mb home plugs in 1 bedroom and it is spot on cost me £40 for the pair oh i have 3 blue and 1 black vonnets and my dad connects to my network 4 houses away i would say over 50 meters away and it is fine

6. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

Got a blue Vonet a few months ago when I bought an extra box for another room and it went dead (no power) after a week, sent it back and they sent a replacement. Exact same thing happened 2 days later. Still haven't sent it back that reminds me. Bought a Tenda W150M Portable Wireless AP/Router. Works flawlessly as a repeater/AP and simple to set up following very easy enclosed instructions. Now have 2 of them working away and get a full signal at the end of my long garden.

7. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

So.....what ya up to at the end of the garden? he he he

8. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

Smokin' of course Mickah!!

9. gerrard08

gerrard08 Regular member

Thanks for all the advice/info all you guys, appreciated......im gonna get the TENDA.

thanks again.

10. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

be aware that tenda is limited. wpa psk does not work at all, wpa psk2 is flakey. the only encrption I could get the tenda to work on properly is wep. so be aware that you may have to change your encryption in your router to match. also its a pain of a device as it doesn't actually tell you that you have successfully connected so you have to be very careful when setting up parameters

11. gerrard08

gerrard08 Regular member

ok...thanks for that info fintanni

12. sjbpa

sjbpa Member

hi guys I unfortunately bought a vonets before reading this thread and am having trouble setting it up. I've downloaded and installed the software but when I connect it up and load up the setup program it can't find my device. Would be grateful if anyone could help.

Thanks

13. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

had the same prob, tried everything but couldn't get it to work. sent it back and they were to send out replacement. they never did and i never followed it up as i just couldn't be bothered

14. sjbpa

sjbpa Member

Thanks for the reply, think I'm going to send mine back as well hopefully for a full refund, can't be bothered to get a replacement, doesn't seem worth the hassle!

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  15. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Have to say use home plugs myself, if you just want yer signal about the house or into one room, they are excellent

16. sjbpa

sjbpa Member

Yeh that's what I'm looking to get now. Found a twin set of TP-LINK TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps for £35, hopefully these should work.

17. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

just be aware, that for these to work, the plugs have to be on the same circuit, meaning if your plug in the bedroom is on a different power circuit to the router plug in the sitting room, it wont work

18. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

Strange that fintannl, not had a problem with mine using wpa2-psk. Think one has dropped the connection twice since I bought them but after unplugging and plugging back in all was sorted. Maybe just luck.

19. gerrard08

gerrard08 Regular member

blimmmeyy...thers alot of negatives around vonets and tenda.....and i also heard some negative stuff from my friends using homeplugs...so im considering using the old fashion direct connection with ethernet, even though initially its gonna involve alittle bit of drilling around the house.

20. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

maybe i was unlucky mooley. i sorted 4 tendas for various family members and 3 run fine (granted all on wep) while the 4th simply gave me pain and grief no matter what. gerrard if you can run a cable i suggest you do. internally at home i run cables. it simply works all the time and you don't have the kids on your case caus the tv ain't working :)