1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vonets Wifi Bridge

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by gerrard08, May 2, 2012.

1. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

Wish my superhub would work properly wired direct with my DM800 and I wouldn't need the bloody things... hard to find the right solution. And costly!

2. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

mooley, now i have no knowledge of the virmin superhub but it sounds weird that a wireless connection will work over a wired one. there is nothing unusual about a dm800, it follows standard ethernet protocol, so if you directly connect a home pc or dm800 all should be good. can only be a router config issue. what exactly is happening. i have no doubt you have researched this to death

3. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

The Superhub changes ip at random intervals is one thing I have found out, there's nothing unusual there as quite a few ISP's do this but it seems two different boxes I've tried won't handle this change although they easily should because they are using DHCP. The Suberhub seems to lock out quite a few features as far as I've been able to see such as you cannot create a static ip.

4. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

ok this i understand. i had to change provider to ensure static ip address as use of inadyn to update dyndns/no-ip simply doesn't work very well. so simple solution, pay virmin maybe 40 quid for a static ip address (its a lifetime fee and not annual) and problem solved. Then update dyndns/no-ip with the new IP address. Always program clients with a line such as
    c: junior.dyndns.org 12000 user pass no
    rather than
    c: 23.123.123.123 12000 user pass no
    always use dynamic ip address like in first example in client rather than static ip address in example 2 as should you have to change provider all you have to do is update dyndns/no-ip with the new ip, otherwise you have to reprogram the client box

5. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

ok this i understand. i had to change provider to ensure static ip address as use of inadyn to update dyndns/no-ip simply doesn't work very well. so simple solution, pay virmin maybe 40 quid for a static ip address (its a lifetime fee and not annual) and problem solved. Then update dyndns/no-ip with the new IP address. Always program clients with a line such as
    c: junior.dyndns.org 12000 user pass no
    rather than
    c: 23.123.123.123 12000 user pass no
    always use dynamic ip address like in first example in client rather than static ip address in example 2 as should you have to change provider all you have to do is update dyndns/no-ip with the new ip, otherwise you have to reprogram the client box

6. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

Cheers fintannl I am considering doing this but not sure if I will as I'm only based in UK temporarily and all works a treat back in my place on Ireland.

7. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

as i say it doesn't matter where you live or what provider you use. the importance is in how you program client boxes as this allows you to flexibility to move to the seychelles or better and still have no probs :)

8. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

If I decide to setup a static address with them I'll give you a shout and let you know how it all goes cheers man. Though as I say I have no desire to pay them for one now here when I'll be heading back to the Emerald Isle in a short while. Just been testing it again and it lasts 1 minute tops when wired but is fine when using wireless ap when I changed it back. Ah well, once it works some way or other!

9. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

makes no sense. all the information you need should be in the router logs. has to be a setting within the router hub