1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Mode Vs Video Mode

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by PALToNTSC, Jan 11, 2007.

1. PALToNTSC

PALToNTSC Regular member

hi guys

if anyone can help it will be great.

i have a dvd camcorder with 2 modes of recording, video mode and VR mode. when i use the VR mode the dvds can't be played on my dvd player. anyone know the problem and what's the difference between the 2 modes?? and if there is a way or software to convert VR mode?

thanx

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Video-DVD mode records in the familiar IFO/BUP/VOB format you'd see on all DVDs. It's by far the most compatible mode. The downside of it is that it does not permit editing on-the-fly and you usually have to finalize discs. VR mode uses IFO/VRO (the VRO is the MPEG-2 video file itself) and is not supported by any standalone DVD player (as far as I know) nor does most editing software directly deal with it (though it is basically MPEG-2/VOB so you can reauthor it with most video-editing software). That software that does recognize VR format, AFAIK, only does so for the purpose of converting it to Video-DVD mode.

Nero, Womble, Ulead, etc. all can handle the VRO files. Personally, I'd stick exclusively to Video-DVD mode. There is no need for it, especially if you do your editing - if any - on a PC.

3. gliezl

gliezl Member

can i ask something? so if i want to record a video and edit it.. wat would be the best dvd type to use and wat format.. video or vr? so it would be friendly on the editor and to play it easily? please answer me right away.. i need to do a short film...

4. PALToNTSC

PALToNTSC Regular member

it depends on the way you going to capture the tape. if you have a firewire on your pc you can capture the movie high quality avi file like all the editor do, and you can edit it on any program like adobe, pinnacle, even nero can edit it for you, in this case video is recommended. what VR mode do is you can edit your movie live from your tape, i don't like it cuz you don't have many options in the editing, i think just nero can do it, and for me it didn't work perfect, so it's garbage in my opinion.

for the format 720 576 pal or 720 480 ntsc, it depends on your cam, if it's HDV you can go even higher.

now if you ask how to capture your tape?? adobe premiere or many programs can do it, if you don't have those programs you can use windows movie maker, it comes free with your windows if you're a pc user, but it's not a standard program for capturing, but if you like it, use it.