1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSO ConvertX to DVD is freezing (WinAvi did too)

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by 2boysmom, Apr 10, 2007.

1. attar

attar Senior member

@2boysmom
    Your first post said that CovertX was freezing when you clicked 'convert'.
    That problem has nothing to do with your burner.
    Your burner is not involved at that point.

Some posts later, Convertx seems to work (was it in safe mode??) you haven't indicated one way or another.

You now have a problem with burning to DVD, but your symptoms might simply indicate that DMA has been turned off on the burner due to the problems with the conversion programs.

If your satisfied that the conversion problem is fixed, I suggest you stay away from the burning feature in ConvertX and use another program to burn the files, but before buying a new burner make sure there is something wrong with it first.

2. 2boysmom

2boysmom Member

Right! I still haven't figured out why ConvertX was freezing.

Yes it worked while in Safe mode, but then started to write the disc itself and I got an error message. WHen I burned the converted files in Nero, it took 3x longer than usual and the result was a disc that none of my dvd players will read. Also, when I try to explore the disc contents using the computer, the window locks and becomes a "not responding window"

Both my primary and secondary IDE channels say "DMA if available"

Ok so how can I tell for sure?

3. attar

attar Senior member

If you want to test the DVD burner, create a DVD data disk.
    Put a blank DVD in the burner.
    Start Nero burning Rom
    On the left panel select DVD_Rom(UDF) > New
    Drag a file (a graphic or a text document) from the right panel to the left panel and Burn (4x max)
    Exit and check the files.If the files are good, readable, etc, then the burner is ok.
    If you cannot get a good burn then try again in safe mode.
    If it doesn't work in safe mode then think about what onya said about a new burner.
    Of course it still doesn't explain why two authoring programs freeze when converting a file- but that's a different topic.

4. 2boysmom

2boysmom Member

I did burn a data disc yesterday, the program photodraw and a few flash games. It seemed to work fine. I haven't tried the programs on the discs, because they are already on my computer

I have another computer I can hook up to see if they install properly. Also, I have burned music CD's and sometimes I get error messages and sometimes I don't. Also, sometimes DVD's burn correctly too. It seems to be that Nero Burning Rom works better with one type of media and Nero Express works better with the other type (DVDs Vs CDs).

It all worked fine before that system 32 thing happened. I uninstalled Nero and re-installed it and it didn't fix the problem.

5. attar

attar Senior member

So the DVD burner is working.
    If you burn at 4x then that should eliminate one possible cause of burning errors.
    You know that Convertx works in safe mode, not in Normal.
    Run Startcop and look at the Startup programs.
    All kinds of programs think they should be running at startup, most of them you don't need (you run them from the Start Menu when you want to use them).
    In my example I show the yellow ones which I disabled and the red ones which will be removed when I tell it to.
    Disable programs that you think might affect Convertx.
    Something like a anti virus program.It has to be something that doesn't run in safe mode but runs in Normal...you can disable one at a time and reboot..run ConvertX until something works.

[​IMG]

6. 2boysmom

2boysmom Member

This is what I have in startup cop, They were all green, I changed some to yellow after I googled what they were, but there are still some that I don't know. Could you tell me what you would recommend?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  7. attar

attar Senior member

Disable everything from RealTray to swg.
    Adobe Reader Speed Launch.
    PowerReg Scheduler..
    Reboot and verify that they are stopped then run ConvertX.

PS since Avast! will be down, disconnect from the internet until you turn it on again.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  8. 2boysmom

2boysmom Member

Ok. I did everything we've talked about so far.

I disabled everything you said to and restarted and used ConvertX. It converted successfully I believe, but then when it launched into the burn sequence this is the error message I got "Write error at 110864 (16) - code 052102 [illegal request, invalid address for write]" it was set to write to my D:\ which is my burner, so I don't really understand that.

Then I went to burn the files with Nero Burning Rom, and it was burning at 2x (which says it will do 2770 KB/s but really did 1350 KB/s) and it got halfway through, reset estimated completion time to double what it was originally, and then I got this error message "Could not perform end of disc-at-once"

So I tried Nero Express and it went about 75% of the way and then I got this error message "Invalid block address"

So I'm dealing with multiple problems here, I've uninstalled and Re-installed Nero twice, but I didn't use their erase tool. Should I do that?

Any other suggestions? Should I try it again and post a log?

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help!

9. attar

attar Senior member

Did you enable the Antivirus program again and then try Convertx???

If the Antivirus program is running and Convertx is working then do
    not use Nero to burn the files.

Instead do the following.
    Download, install and run DVD Decrypter.
    Set the burning speed to 4x then exit.You are finished with Decrypter.

Download DVD Shrink, install and run it.
    Click 'Open Files' and find the folder that Convertx saved the output and import them into Shrink..click 'Backup!' and when the screen pops up ,elect to burn to DVD using DVD Decrypter.

DVD Shrink
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

DVD Decrypter
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

10. 2boysmom

2boysmom Member

Where do I change the burn speed in DVD Decrypter? SHould I uninstall Nero, I have used DVD Shrink before and it's set itself to use Nero by default. I haven't had DVD encrypter though.

11. 2boysmom

2boysmom Member

Ok so I figured out that problem. But, there's one thing I am not clear on. Will I need from now on to use ConvertX, then DVD Decrypter, then DVD Shrink? I actually need to run my VOB files through Decrypter right? Because it looks like that's the only way to set the burn speed? But with Nero, I could just convert the files and then either burn them from that or poen up shrink and burn them that way. I don't understand the extra step here.

12. attar

attar Senior member

Don't uninstall Nero.

Decrypter:Click Mode > ISO > Write, the speed setting should appear.

In Shrink, it's Edit > Preference > File I/O, where you check off that you wish to burn with Nero, but you shouldn't have to change that setting.
    Shrink should detect that Decrypter is available.

When 'Select backup target' menu pops up, select the Decrypter option.

13. attar

attar Senior member

It's not clear from your post if you have used DVD Shrink & Decrypter to successfully burn a DVD.

But if you did, then I suggest you use DVD Shrink and Decrypter until you get Nero working properly.

DVD Shrink calls in DVD Decrypter to burn the DVD.
    You do not have to run Decrypter (unless you want to change the burning speed.And you don't).

So your procedure to convert AVI to DVD is:
    Run Convertx (it's the best program out there for the job)
    Import the files to DVD Shrink, backup, and tell Shrink to burn the DVD with DVD Decrypter.

14. 2boysmom

2boysmom Member

I followed your instructions and got a clean burn. So can I just do that from now on? There is no reason to keep Nero, correct?

And we've determined my burner is fine?

I still feel like there may be some underlying problems that are the result of all those win32 files being deleted...I still don't know why that happened. Ever since then I can't use my USB ports either, even after updating the drivers.

Do you know of a diagnostic tool that I can use to search out problems with software? A friend of mine told me to use PC pitstop and it gave me checkered flags for everything it checked. I don't know if that means anything.

15. attar

attar Senior member

Leave the set-up as is for a while until you are satisfied that the conversion and burning process is ok.

When you feel like it, uninstall Nero completely and use the Nero Clean Tool.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Nero-General-Clean-Tool.shtml

If/when you install Nero do not let it install 'InCd'.

=============================
    How do you know?
    Do you have a memory stick you can plug in.A camera??A printer??

Check the BIOS (del key at boot time), probably in the 'Advanced' area..
    You can verify that USB is enabled and set for high speed (USB2).

Also check the USB Controllers in the Device manager (same place you checked the DMA)

16. 2boysmom

2boysmom Member

Ok I got a clean burn doing it that way. Thank you so much for your help.

As for the USB thing, after that window popped up and deleted all my system32 files, once I got my computer back up and running (after re-installing my operating system) my DVD Drives and USB ports all had error messages with the littel exclamation point. For the DVD drives, all I had to do was delete a registry entry and uninstall the drives, and then let the computer auto-detect them and everything was fine. I tried the same thing for the USB ports and still get the error message. I tried to update the drivers and mine were as updated as they can get. I've uninstalled and re-installed about 20 times.

This is the error message: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I have googled that error code so many times and followed instructions that have been posted by other people, but nothing is working. Neither my camera nor my Ipod will work in either port.

I haven't checked the BIOS, I'm not sure what I'd be looking for, and I don't think they are USB2's either.

17. attar

attar Senior member

Uninstall everything with the exclamation point and the controllers?

This is the BIOS.In this case under the 'advanced' tab.
    it shows the USB Function [Enabled].

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  18. 2boysmom

2boysmom Member

There is nowhere in my BIOS that lists USB anything.

19. attar

attar Senior member

20. MysticE

MysticE Active member