1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSO DivxToDVD - Incredible & Free!

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by jlrm365, Feb 25, 2005.

1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I have discovered avi download paradise!

It's name is:

VSO DivxToDVD
    Version: 0.4.9

Check it out here:

http://www.vso-software.fr/download.htm

Burn the guide on here! That piece of software is amazing and the best part is...

IT'S FREE!!!

Spread the word!

2. aaron118

aaron118 Member

It's not that great, on some DVD players it will show horrible green blocks throughout the film.

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

It's horrible at PAL<->NTSC conversions, and has NO options of any sort. You can't control bitrate, you can't control aspect (no 16:9), you can't filter anything...
    A total noob's "one-click-wonder" tool. Fun to play with and then quickly discard for something much better.

4. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

aaron118:
    It's more likely a problem with your setup, as I have so far run six feature length avi files through VSO DivXtoDVD, each of
    varying screen size, without failure or negative issue :)

Without question, all have and continue to run perfectly for me :)

rebootjim:
    You must have, or have used, an older version. Update :) You are without doubt an expert in "manual" conversion but...

I can see the results of VSO DivXtoDVD with my own eyes and the results are good :)

Someone who should know - Dela, an afterdawn reviewer - had this to say:

"It's a very easy and quick solution for encoding DivX files to DVD in acceptable quality. For when you have DivX files that
    are not of DVD-Rip quality, this program is the best solution for you. It's also quite good at NTSC --> PAL, PAL --> NTSC
    conversions but of course it has a slight pause in playback because of the framerate change. The ability to output AC3 audio
    is also a big one for NTSC DVD's, as technically MP2 is not standard for NTSC DVD's."

From afterdawn's own review text (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/vso_divxtodvd.cfm):

"VSO DivXtoDVD is an easy-to-use freeware tool that allows converting any video file format (not just DivX) to a DVD-Video
    -compliant.

Program also supports converting audio files into 2-channel AC3 format, supports NTSC and PAL formats and also 16:9 and 4:3
    aspect ratios.

Program's encoding engine is pretty fast and produces good-quality results (of course it can't be compared to multipass
    encoding with CCE, but the easiness and the speed of the software makes it up), considering that the source material is
    typically already heavily compressed with lossy encoding methods.

Tool also can automatically create chapters for DVDs and also supports putting multiple movies on one DVDR disc. Program has
    only two major nags -- first of all, it doesn't support converting external subtitles to DVD-compliant subtitles and
    secondly, it doesn't allow menu creation which would ease the navigation of the DVD dramatically when there are several
    movies stored on one DVDR disc."

Issues:

"Program's encoding engine is pretty fast and produces good-quality results"
    This ease and convenience are much sought after, by several afterdawn converts I am aware of :)

"of course it can't be compared to multipass encoding with CCE"
    CCE costs $2000.00. This being free, the results do indeed compare :)

"it doesn't support converting external subtitles to DVD-compliant subtitles"
    I have never needed nor wanted subtitles and removing them cranks a small amount of quality back into the end result, it not
    needing to be so compressed without the subtitles :)

"it doesn't allow menu creation which would ease the navigation of the DVD dramatically when there are several movies stored
    on one DVDR disc"
    Good, though freedom to choose not to make the menus would be nice. Again, the less a movie needs to be compressed, the
    better :)

VSO DivxToDVD keeps good colour and definition in my experience, does allow you to choose aspect ratios and format options
    and its sound is superior to many others:

"DivxToDVD will also encode your audio files to 2CH AC3 format, which is a better option than MP2 for NTSC DVD's" (afterdawn
    quote!) and does a great job with PAL DVDs also :)

If you do happen to download some poor avi material, then:
    1 - You should be downloading from another source, so editing is not an issue :)
    2 - You can easily and quickly use good shareware avi editor, like "AVIedit": http://www.am-softhome.com/ :)

Pieces of software mentioned in afterdawn's conversion guide
    (http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm): 4 :(

Pieces of software mentioned in videohelp's conversion guide
    (http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/186739.php): 5 :(

Pieces of software mentioned in afterdawn's conversion guide
    (http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vso_divxtodvd_guide.cfm): 1 :)

A simple choice to make! From there, you burn. As far as DivxToDVD goes, there are two options:

Option 1:
    You can choose to leave the files necessary to authoring on your hard drive and burn them with Nero: 2 pieces of software
    total.

Option 2:
    You can use VSO's shareware burning package "CopyToDVD". Within DivxToDVD, you are able to tick "Burn with CopyToDVD", as you

can see in afterdawn's own guide (http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vso_divxtodvd_guide.cfm). Result? Once your avi
    file has been converted, CopyToDVD automatically picks up the conversion and burns it for you! Unregistered, you do have to
    click to pass the shareware notice. Future releases will incorporate these two pieces of software into one :)

If you are smart and able enough to find quality source material, editing will not be an issue. That being the case and
    CopyToDVD registered (unregistered, add a fraction of a second), the entire active process takes around 5 seconds. You can
    then leave the room for a couple of hours or do something else on your computer :)

All software applications have their detractors, to some of whom a piece of software cannot be good if it is quick, easy and
    involves less than a dozen steps. These people still would choose to chop down redwoods with axes!

I would much rather use 2 synergistic preparation and burning tools, spend 5 seconds and then walk away and enjoy myself, to
    come back to a good product, than use up to 5 tools and spend more time doing something that has no guarantee of being any
    better :)

Call it what you will. I call it (unless you choose to register CopyToDVD) a fast, free, simple, quality "fire and forget"
    solution :)

1 - Download VSO DivXtoDVD: http://www.vso-software.fr/download.htm :)
    2 - Use VSO DivXtoDVD :)
    3 - Be merry :)

A special thankyou to afterdawn user "Gringle", for recomending this amazing piece of software to me

(http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/162963) :)

Let's leave the final thought to afterdawn:

"But as a summary, an EXCELLENT TOOL for quick DVD creation and I can see it become quite popular for converting digital
    camcorder material into DVDR format as well."

5. aaron118

aaron118 Member

You try and play a movie you converted with it on a Panasonic or Hitachi player. You will then see green blocks!

6. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I have tried all major makes, as a friend works in an electronics store, and have had no problems. Again, it might either be your setup or the actual download that has issues. I've never had any real issues with it, other than the minor bothere of having to register CopyToDVD - but then I could have chosen to use Nero and keep it free. Now, it's all good and clear :)

You might be interested in another link I found useful, which collects the All-In-One applications together:

http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?howtoselect=4;62#4;62

If you prefer another All-In-One conversion tool, which?

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

I admit, all-in-one tools have their place.
    VSO might be exceptionally good for one person, and exceptionally bad for another.
    Why?
    Because NO 2 PEOPLE have the same SOURCE files.
    Source bitrate, aspect, compression, framerate, and running time are ALL important in creating a quality based output movie.
    Use VSO (or any other one-clicker) until you come across that movie, you just gotta have on dvd, that your "wonder tool" won't do right.
    Then come read the guides, and get the tools, and ask the questions, for some instruction on doing it the manual way <grin>.
    Sooner or later, you're going to have to learn some stuff, if you want to get things the best possible.

8. chewingum

chewingum Member

THANKS IN ADVANCE

9. drusse11

drusse11 Member

yea i agree this software kicks ass i have used it countless times with out any kind of problem and to that kid that says try it out on a Panasonic I HAVE and panasonic and i cant tell you how many times i have watched movies on it that i have used VSO to convert and I have no had a single so called green block

10. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Since as far as I can tell it is basically a GUI for libavcodec/format you guys really have the ffmpeg dev team to thank. libavcodec's rate control could be causing the green blocks I guess. Because since I have never seen any links to source on their page, the dll's presumably are unmodified.

11. freakycfc

freakycfc Guest

Yes same for me have a panasonic dvd player plays with the green blotches it sucks !!!!!