1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W.D. my passport problem.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bigkeithx, Sep 30, 2012.

1. bigkeithx

bigkeithx Member

Hi can anyone help me please. I have a 1TB W.D.My Passport external portable hard drive,I have filled it with Films and t.v. programs(about 100 Gbs)but when I plug it into my S##Y 3D TV,not all the stuff is showing so I plug it back into my PC everything is still on the drive.has any one got any ideas, thanx

2. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

Yeah. Probably the media that is not showing is of an incompatible format (.flv, .mkv, etc.) you might need to re-encode into a useable format for the tv.

handbrake, ripbot and staxrip are all capable programs for encoding.

3. bigkeithx

bigkeithx Member

Thanks mrslicker,will give it a go and let u know.

4. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

would also try and find out if your tv supports fat 32 or ntfs first, if it supports fat 32 then files under 4 gig will play ( depending on file as your first responce was), if it supports ntfs then big files will play over 4 gig, best thing to do is read/download your tv manual and see what it supports ( biggest one to look out for is fat 32 or ntfs) then what movie files it supports ( avi,mpv,mkv,bd etc). good luck, its pretty easy

5. bigkeithx

bigkeithx Member

Hi mrslicker just tried re-encoding,dont seem to make any difference,it seems that the WD drive will only show a certain amount of info and thats it,so I dont think its the format bit.

6. bigkeithx

bigkeithx Member

thanx tongs007,have tried wot u said and it works, it took a while but i got there in the end once again thanx.

7. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

no problem :)