1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waisting dvd-Rs, need help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Newcome-R, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Newcome-R

Newcome-R Guest

I'm trying to backup a DVD,I'm using the program DVD Decrypter bc this website had a step by step page showing how to use it. I did everything that it said to do and more. I've wasted 3 DVD-Rs now and want to know is there something else i could do with this program to prevent this from happening. Like I said I've followed the instructions, i tried clicking test and burn proof, then neither of them and nothing is working. After the few hours it takes to burn, it says yeah my operation was sucessful, however when I put it into my DVD drive it just spins and tries to read. Properties show 0 bytes free, 0 bytes used, 0 bytes capacity on the disc. The backside, i can tell it did something, but it will not play on the computer or a regular dvd player. I'm using DVD-R Verbatim 4.7 gig discs. Any ideas of to what I am doing wrong? Respond if you need more info.

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I have not seen the guide but if u reply to the following, see what we can do!

What version dvd decrypter?
    Does dvd decrypter detect ur dvd rom?
    What settings r u using within dvd decrypter?
    Does your standalone play dvd-r's?
    What burning software are u using?
    What dvd r u doing? dvd5 or dvd9?
    Have u got ifoedit?
    Have u got dvd2one?
    Do u just want the movie or everything?

This is a start.
    Someone will probably jump in here aswell I expect.

3. Newcome-R

Newcome-R Guest

To answer your questions...

What version dvd decrypter?
    DVD Decrypter 3.1.1.0
    Does dvd decrypter detect ur dvd rom?
    Yes
    What settings r u using within dvd decrypter?
    ISO (is that what u were wondering?)
    Does your standalone play dvd-r's?
    It reads cd-r/rw/mp3's, I'm not totally
    sure i doubt it bc i didn't say on the
    box. Does that mean any disc i backup i
    can't play on my standalone?
    What burning software are u using?
    In all honesty I'm not sure if you go to
    this site http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm
    at the bottom says after using just DVD
    decrypter I should have a finished result

What dvd r u doing? dvd5 or dvd9?
    I'm using a DVD5
    Have u got ifoedit?
    Yes
    Have u got dvd2one?
    Yes
    Do u just want the movie or everything?
    Just the movie is fine by me

(Sorry i hope i made that as easy to read as poss, i know it was a lot)

One more question the DVD i'm trying to back up when in the DVD-ROM drive under properties shows that it's a 4.16 GB but when it takes up more than that when it's condensed down is that normal??? It's a two sided disc i'm trying to backup and all the bonus features are on the back.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I have looked at the guide and it is spot on.

Ur pc dvd rom should read the disc no problems with this method, I do not think this is a media issue.

Have u got a dvd viewing program on ur pc, such as powerdvd ormedia player?

Have u tried a DIFFERENT dvd, ie have u got another DVD5 where everything is on one disc?
    It could be that as the dvd is a double sided one then there may be info contaning links to the other side?

R u ripping the correct side?

What file r u selecting to burn back with, ie ISO or MDS, you need the ISO file.

HAVE U ANY BURNING SOFTWARE OTHER THAN DVD DECRYPTER?

If u have then you could rip the whole disc and process it through ifoedit.
    But unless you have burning software then it would be pointless to explain.

Let me know!

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Just thought.

I use version 3.1.3.0.

Ur version may produce different files in ISO mode, what files do u end up with?

I end up with ISO or MDS!

You may be burning the wrong file!!

I think the .dvd file maybe present on ur version.

Also check www.dvddecrypter.com, they have forums there answered by the author.

If I think of anything else I shall post.

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I have checked out the forum as above and got no result.

Try downloading the newer version and see how u go?

I think it is 3.1.5.0 now

7. Newcome-R

Newcome-R Guest

1.) I do have powerdvd along with a few other dvd programs. Using powerdvd i can watch the .VOB files if I open with powerDVD

2.) That I have not, I will try that though. Is there a way I can tell if it will work before I waste a DVD, I doubt it but thought I'd ask

3.) Yes I was ripping the right side

4.) I did use the ISO file bc I was going by the webpage instructions

5.) I have DVD decrypter, easydivx, Nero (but i think that's just for cd's) dvd2one (i'm not sure if i've tried yet),DVDx, DVDcopyPlus and ifoedit...those are the programs i'm attempting to sucessfully backup a dvd with. At one time I had dvdxcopy but not sure i still do or not
    ----------------------------------
    1.) I put the .dvd files on the discs
    ----------------------------------
    Ok I have D.D. version 3.1.4.0. that's the latest i saw on their website...like i was asking before, is there a way i can tell if it will work b4 wasting dvd-Rs?!?!?

8. framerman

framerman Regular member

Burning with dvd decrypter in iso mode should be quite easy to do. You should be able to just rip it and burn it right back as long as the movie is under 4.37 GB's. The only thing I can see you might have a problem with is if the movie has angles, such as Star Wars. This will give you problems if you're not paying close attention. If you have the movie still, use file mode method and rip the main movie ifo file. Open that file up in ifoedit and see if there are any angles listed in the lower half of the screen.

9. framerman

framerman Regular member

Sorry, you should also quite definitely buy 1 rw disc and burn to this instead of wasting your money on coasters. Until you have the process down pretty good, don't burn to r's. It will take you a little longer this way, but it will save you money and time, not to mention frustration.

10. Newcome-R

Newcome-R Guest

I took the advice of trying a DVD+RW that came with my burner. It was an HP DVD+RW. By the way the discs I have been using have been +'s bc that's what my burner is compatible with. Anywho, I tried the RW and it said that it was NOT formated??? Ummm I've never heard of a disc since the floppy that need formated, but i usually don't use RW's. Am I missing something or does that sound weird to anyone else but me. Thanks for all those who have been and countinue to help me on my questions.

Would it be easier for someone to go step by step using a program telling me what i need to click and settings i should set, or would that take to long??? The reason I ask is bc my cousin is wanting me to put a rare tape that he can't find anymore on a DVD and I wanted to master or figure out how to just backup DVD's before i went out and bought the accessories need to put a VHS on a disc for his little boy. But anywho he's in a hurry. If not that's cool, I really do appreciate all the help I have been getting from everyone. Thanks and keep the comments coming, but just a reminder to respond to, does anyone know anything about reformating a DVD-RW or why or if I should need to? Thanks everyone

11. framerman

framerman Regular member

You have to format the rw's, but it only takes maybe 2 minutes at most. I don't know why you do, but you do. As far as I know, all computer media needs formatting or is already formatted. I have reformatted my hard drive many times.

If you're trying to record from vhs to dvd, that's a little different ballgame. I don't know anything about that. Sorry.

12. Newcome-R

Newcome-R Guest

Well right now I'm not really concerned with the vhs part of it, but if I can figure out the DVD part of it then I feel I should be able to have some idea to what I am doing when it becomes time for the vhs. By the way, how do you format a RW??? Same way as a floppy???

13. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Heh Heh Heh.

u initially said u were using dvd-r's(waisting them) Thats why it don't work. If u only have a dvd+rw drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding formating.

ALL dvd rw require formatting as u can burn and reburn them. REUSE.
    YOU NEED TO DO A FULL FORMAT TO PHYSICALLY REMOVE DATA AND FORMAT THE DISC CORRECTLY.

If u use quick format it does not physically remove data and therefore will cause problems.
    So a FULL format is required.

Dvd decrypter can format and also nero, and probably other burning software such as recordnowmax etc.

I do not know dvd decrypters ability to do dvd+r discs, u will have to check out www.dvddecrypter.com for help or post here.

I use dvd-r and dvd-r burner so the '+' discs I have no experience with - sorry!!!

14. Newcome-R

Newcome-R Guest

Can you tell me how to use DVD Decrypter to format the DVD-RW??? I didn't see anything about formating the disc.

But yeah when i said wasting dvd-r's that was just a typo that shoulda been + :)

15. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Many people do not know ALL of the features regarding dvd decrypter.

Make sure ur dvd recorder is highlighted in blue and just RIGHT CLICK this produces a drop down box, select erase and do a FULL one.

The RIGHT CLICK can give u more features.
    Give it a try.
    Hope this helps.

16. Newcome-R

Newcome-R Guest

Yulp, it worked. I put it on a RW first and then on a R and yeah it worked. I used vs 3.1.4.0, and yeah it worked. I'm not sure what was wrong with that other version but so everyone knows try a different version of DVD Decrypter than version 3.1.1.0. Thanks for all your help...now my next question is

What is the easiest way, using what program to backup a DVD that is bigger than 4.36GB, if I just wanted to the movie???

I would cut out the bonus features unless they fit of course, but how would one go about doing that???

17. baabaa

baabaa Active member

dvd2one is the proggy everyone is talking about.

All u do is rip just the movie files in dvd decrypter and put it through dvd2one it then creates an already authored folder which you can burn back using burning software.

ie just done a 3 hour backup and it fits on one dvd-r.

Check out the dvd2one section in the fourm this will give u more info if needed.

Hope this helps.