1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wait for New MacBooks this spring/summer??

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by gtea11, Apr 1, 2007.

1. gtea11

gtea11 Member

Hi, I've posted a few messages searching for advice on ne pc laptop technology and what I need to look for in my next purchase. I actually have a vaio that's worked flawlessly--no notorious freezes/crashes for pcs--but all of the sudden is hardly functioning. I fully plan on fixing it, somehow, but it's not working out right now and I'm a student who's trying to finish out a semester full of spring projects and term papers. I love the quality of vaios (if you look around, rebates can bring the price down out of the clouds), but after looking, I finally got fed up with confusing tech and scared of a buggy first version vista, so I thought I might take the plunge and try my first mac.

Now the dilemma I face is that I need a comuter sooner than later, however, I don't just shell out this kind of money but once every several yaers, and I want the next one to last me 5/6 years at least. I'm ready to try a macbook, but did the math and figured they were ready for a model upgrade and did research and found a new os is coming out in june. now i'm not that concerned about the os, considering it will be the first version and i don't know what i'm missing if this is my first mac, but i figure they will come out with new hardware--new more efficient 64 bit laptops--and perhaps even new finishes (as they love to do with ipods) at the same time, my initial math put it due in may, but june is really close to that. I know that mac is very secretive, but I need some expert speculation.

Bottom Line: Will new hardware be coming out with new os, or will I not regret buying laptop now? wireless capabilities/integration (of new n, etc, more efficient for batt life, and more durable finishes, and any unforseen changes might be worth waiting for--but I am in dire need of a working portable computer!

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

2. Guided

Guided Member

Wait atleast one month from now, to see if even notice about a new Mac model appears, it's always is good to wait a little to make sure.

3. akaangus

akaangus Regular member

As far as I know all macs shipping already have N, it's just not a publicized feature yet. Absolutely the new version of the OS will come with computers after its release at no additional charge (or pay $99 for the upgrade, or acquire it from other sources).

Top story on http://www.macrumors.com/ right now is talking about what might change, check it out and see if any of that makes a difference to you. Also be sure to use the education discount when you buy.

4. akaangus

akaangus Regular member

They just came out and I scored a last-gen one for $999 CDN (the base 1.83 ghz one). The only difference is hard drive speed, RAM, and processor speed. I figured I would always upgrade the RAM and HD no matter if it was 512/60 or 1gb/80 anyways down the road.