1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wanna make some gameplay videos any cheap way to record from ps3 to pc

Discussion in 'PS3' started by xboxdvl2, Aug 2, 2014.

1. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

hi all

wanted to know if there is a free way or cheap way to record hd gaming from ps3 and put it on pc to edit then later upload to youtube.
    I don't wanna pay lots for a recorder or a hd capture card.I use fraps for pc gaming but don't think there is a version that will run on ps3.
    I also don't wanna run wires 15 metres to my pc (yes my ps3 and pc are 15 metres away from each other).

any ideas or cheap ways to do this?????
    I'm using a sony smart tv with hdmi from ps3 through a yamaha a/v reciever to my tv.
    I have a 650 usb external hard drive to put videos on.
    I'm happy to download software and use it if it will record, (tried plenty of scam programs that claim to do it but none that work )
    I have universal media server on my pc if there is a way to stream from ps3 directly to my pc.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you have a digital camera or borrow 1?

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i have an old kodak digital camera that can record 2 minutes of video with no sound and the quality is bad, i don't have access to another digital camera and my phone is old and records in bad quality.

update: while looking around i saw a product called kaiser baas hd gaming recorder.I think it would work but can't seem to find anywhere apart from eb games that would have it and they charge $189 for it and are probably out of stock.If i can get it for under $100 i will get it,if not might be asking family in december for it as xmas present.
    does anyone on here have any experience with it??? i have seen gameplay videos on youtube using it and some look great but some arn't in hd and were probably compressed to upload quicker.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  4. DOS_equis

DOS_equis Member

My son has this one:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr2-gaming.html

It works great. It has a decent sized record on/ off button right on top of the device and is easy to connect up to a XB360 or PS3/ 4 It will record from any HDMI source AFAIK so you could in theory record a TV show from your cable box with it too. The PS3 hook up has to use the AV cable provided with the recorder so it will only record in 720p (Sony's stupid design restrictions) You can edit the stuff in the included soft bundle that comes with it or use something like Sony Vegas. I found a decent used one for around $100 on eBay a few years ago. Scanning eBay real quick reveals that you can get them pretty cheap (lowest one sold recently for $15) so you might be able to score one at a decent price. I would just make sure to get one that is as complete as possible (to me the retail box is a plus) so you have all of the cables you need to get it going.