1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to capture VHS tapes and make DVDs

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by HorrorNut, Mar 29, 2005.

1. HorrorNut

HorrorNut Member

Hi all,

I've been reading the posts here about capturing VHS tapes but the amount of conflicting information is a bit overwhelming. I have a few dozen old horror movies on VHS that I've been waiting for to be officially released on DVD. They still haven't and it's looking like they never will(all our obscure independent films)and I'm worried that when my videos wear out, I'll never be able to see them again. So, I want to make DVDs.

I'm used to making dvds from my own dv movies so the authoring part is no problem at all. What I'm unsure about is what the best way to capture the vhs footage into the computer is. I'd imagine these have macrovision that will need defeated, so I'll have to buy a clarifier, but I don't know what the best one is. If I buy the Canopus ADVC-110 will that take care of everything I need to do this or will I need to buy a new capture card too(I currently capture DV via firewire but also have UBS2 ports)?

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Many thanks,

Tony

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Just get the Canopus. It'll hook up directly to your firewire port, and you can capture as you normally do.

3. HorrorNut

HorrorNut Member

Awesome! Thanks for the help. Is there any difference between the 100 and 110? Will both defeat macrovision?

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The only difference that I can figure out, is the 100 is no longer made, and the 110 has slightly different hardware. They both defeat macrovision in 99% of cases. There's always one stubborn tape that won't work. :)