1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

want to convert Avi to mpeg 2

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by cbjargon, Feb 6, 2005.

1. cbjargon

cbjargon Member

I want to convert my Avi movies that fit on a regular cd-r using nero 5.5 (now i have nero 6) and i want to convert it to mpeg 2 so i can save all the movies on hd d then copy them all at once on dvd burner (svcd) so the mpeg 2 would be encoded and then i can watch them in my dvd player on tv?

ps. i have tried some programs ie-- avi to mpeg, oss, winavi -- but some of them only do 50% and i want to find the whole conversion program available for download -- when i go and open the movie it also says unsupported format can not continue conversion?

2. cbjargon

cbjargon Member

ps i have win 98se for the thread about avi to mpeg2

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

First, forget about Nero for encoding. Use it onlt for making mpeg(-1/-2) --> (S)VCD.

Second, read http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2svcd_with_tmpgenc.cfm .
    Avoid all SmartRipper/DVD2AVI stuff (needed only if you're ripping a DVD) and all audio settings (if the AVI has a VCD compatible (S)VCD - 44.1 kHz - audio you don't need it; be careful to have a working movie/audio input) and start reading from the FitCD step.
    If the AVI hasn't a (S)VCD compatible audio, TMPGenc will leave the 'audio input' line blank. In this case, read http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217 so you can avoid reading the audio stuff from our guide.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005