1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

want to copy VHS media to DVD using PC

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by missar69, Apr 4, 2005.

1. missar69

missar69 Guest

is there a way to burn my VHS media to DVD media using a VCR and PC?
    some inputs would be helpful
    thanks
    MI

2. Sol47

Sol47 Member

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Software is only part of what you need. You will need some type of video capture device to get the VHS onto the computer. Either a video card with RCA inputs or there are external ones that hook to the PC through USB. If you want to convert Purchased VHS movies to dvd you will also need a Macrovision remover box of some kind. Macrovision is the copy protection used on VHS tapes. Then the software is needed to convert the files from the VHS tape to proper dvd format before burning. I know this sounds complicated but once done it isn't that bad. It takes some playing with to get it right the first couple of times. Use the forum search feature and look for VHS to DVD. Should be bunches of information on this.

Jerry

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Please do not do this. Just buy a DVD recorder for $150. I'm trying to save you time and money, or you can just buy an expensive video card with hardware encoding and spend alot more upgrading your PC's hard drive, RAM, etc.

5. mle56

mle56 Member

The absolute easiest and quickest way to convert your VHS tapes (and camcorder tapes) is with the new Sony DVDirect. I could not find it in any stores so I went to www.sony.com and traced it through DVD recorders. You can use this with or without your PC. It is really an external dvd recorder/capture device. You cannot do any editing with it as it only copies vhs and camcorder tapes directly in real time. I paid 299.00 but it was a great investment for me and I am putting lots of old family vhs tapes on dvd now. Good luck

mle56

6. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

i have used a converter by ads technologies that uses usb and has worked great . i have done about 80 movies this way and they work great. some people say on this site not to use them, i havent had to upgrade anything else and no problems. i got it at wal-mart for about $80 and it comes with Ulead video studio for capturing, editing and burning. this program is great.