1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to cut a few scenes from a movie

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by quilt, May 7, 2004.

1. quilt

quilt Member

Hi,
    I have learned SO much from your fourm.
    I have Out of Africa, and want to zap about 3 short 'bedroom scenes' so that my children can watch the otherwise good movie with beautiful scenery.

I use DVDShrink, it works [bold]wonderfully[/bold] for straight backing up the main movie only.

I have downloaded various small utilities programs for working with video/DVD, etc, but haven't installed or used any of them yet - also have Premier6 available. What would be the best/easiest way to cut out 3 short scenes - audio and video - in the movie so that I can burn the edited movie to DVD. I ripped the movie to my HDD ( results in vob, ifo and bup files), so can work on it from there.

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You can remove chapters using TMPGEnc DVD Author, if they are set as chapters, also the Abobe Encore works a treat for better editing...

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi quilt,
    You can use Shrink to do this too. The process involves making a compilation of the parts you want to keep, using Shrink's set start/end frames feature.

This is how it works:

Prepare by making three folders on your hard drive. This is where you are going to put three different sections of the movie.

Open your movie in Shrink and select re-author. Drag the main title into the compilation window on the left.

Click on the set start/end frames feature (the two opposing arrows) Now by moving the end frame slider, select the first portion of the movie, up to the beginning of the scene you want to remove. Select OK.

Go ahead and select Backup! and place this portion into the first folder.

Close and then reopen Shrink, open the movie again, select re-author and set start/end feature again.

This time, use both sliders to select the portion of the movie from the end of the first bedroom scene to the start of the second bedroom scene. Select OK and backup this portion to your second folder.

Do the same thing between the end of the second bedroom scene to the start of the third, and put this in the third folder.

Are you getting the idea?

For the last portion of the movie select the portion from the end of the last bedroom scene to the end of the movie, select OK.

Now using Shrinks browser collect each of the folders created earlier and place them in the compilation window. Drag them to the correct location so the portions play in the correct order.

Once you get them in you should have four titles in the compilation window. It's going to look like this:

Title 1
    Title 1(2)
    Title 1(3)
    Title 1(4)

To finish, click on the "DVD" above your titles to highlight and then back this compilation up as you normally do. Shrink will reassemble the movie without the bedroom scenes.

This is just one way to do it. The resolution of the cuts are 15 frames so you can be pretty accurate as to where the cuts take place. Try and get it right at the scene change and your movie will look seamless.

Cheers,
    Frank

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Geez, is that all the help you're going to give Frank? ;)

5. quilt

quilt Member

Hey, that was plenty of help.
    Worked out great.
    Just took a few minutes of playing around with trying to drag the 5 files (it ended up being 5 files after editing) and messin' with DVDShrink to understand how to work the "browser to collect each of the folders created earlier and place them in the compilation window". But after a bit of messin' around and closing and re-opening DVDShrink, I finally got it figured out and the 'clean' edited backup has been made for the kids.

Thanks for your help.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Way to go, quilt!,

I'm glad it worked! :D And in the process you became an expert on authoring movies with Shrink! Now, if you wanted to make a compilation of a whole bunch of parts from a bunch of DVDs you could do that using the same method. Just assemble a bunch of folders.

I know Neph, I know!.....My first instinct for this reply was "Reauthor using Shrink, read this guide:"

"url to some guide"

I enjoy trying to teach what little I know and I can get away with it here, hehe.

7. dormking

dormking Member

dear Fasfrank,

Thanks so much for your helpful, lengthy answer.