1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting Info before buying a new digital camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by TaJoe, May 3, 2005.

1. TaJoe

TaJoe Guest

Is curious about a few things about digital camcorders? If i was to get a camcorder that records on mini dvd could i take that video and get good quality pictures from that video? What would be the best setup to allow me to take good video and then go through that video and take single pictures from that video that will have dvd quality? Is that possible? Is totally new to all of these and if there is some resources i can look up could someone point me in the right direction?

2. edsloter

edsloter Member

no, minidv is far superior than dvd. dvd is a lossy format, minidv is not. there are a couple concerns with minidv tho, the longest tape format is only 83 min, and you might want some knowledge on how to transfer minidv master tape to dvd.

3. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You are rigth about one thing, miniDV is definitely better than DVD.
    But you are wrong thinking that miniDV is not a lossy compression: it is also lossy.
    The compression-ratio used in DV compression (around 1:5) is much less than DVD MPEG-2 (1:20 or higher, depending on bitrate used).

4. edsloter

edsloter Member

thanks for clearing that up