1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wanting to hook up 3 hard drives IDE??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jruppert, Nov 17, 2004.

1. jruppert

jruppert Member

I have 2 installed now using the IDE cables. I want to hook up another. Can this be done? I am not finding any IDE cables that support 3 devices.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you can only run on standard motherboards 4 ide drives such as hd, cd/dvdrom, cdrw/dvdrw drives & 2 ide dives per cable with 2 ide connectors on motherboard but there are boards that have 4 ide connectors on motherboard

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

You can also look into Raid setups.

I have with an old Compaq Pentium 200 run three hard drives with on cable. You need a good junk store that sells mainframe cables with up to five or six IDE ports on it. I got mine for about $5, but I think I only got the three hard drive to reconize in Red hat 7.2, I don`t think I tried windows on it. that work as I could set the drives.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Some boxed drives come with IDE controllers (noticeably Maxtor drives 80GB and bigger, well they used to) ... if youre not into RAIDing then that might save you some money

5. oquela

oquela Member

you can also:
    a)get an external box that has a firewire and/or USB2 IDE bridge (I have one. works great, plus it's portable)

b) get an internal IDE/firewire bridge. You install your HD inside the case, and this small device connects to where the IDE cable goes. then you connect to an INTERNAL firewire port using a regular firewire cable. You can add two devices in total to this bridge, so it's your HD plus one more. this is about 50 bucks.

c) get a motherboard that supports 4 ide channels instead of 2

d) get a PCI card that adds 2 more IDE channels (for a total of 4 more devices)

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hey Praetor I haven`t seen you in long time.

How do you have your three 160Gb drives set up? I now don't have my pentum set up that way. I have it on a 10Gb with Windows 98 and use an external 250Gb drive as a floater.

Jruppert, why do you want 3 drives? what are there sizes? you may find it just slows down you system if small or only a 4200rpm.

7. Streamcod

Streamcod Member

well , get IDE add on card you can link 4 hdd using this card,seprate than master/slave IDE

make sure u have enough DC connector for the hdds (i like this dees)

8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

You need a hard drive "controller card" that fits into a PCI slot on your PC (just like a sound card). Western Digital's "Special Edition" used to include these for free with their drives, so you can either look for one of these drives or buy one from Newegg.