1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to legally backup my PS2 DVD games to DVD without having to us a chip in my ps2 to play back

Discussion in 'PS2' started by rosedog, Jun 2, 2003.

1. rosedog

rosedog Regular member

First I would like to say that I have done a search...that includes other sites as well.

As it say's in my subject header, I have read and heard that there ARE ways to backup/rip/copy/archive/callitwhateveryouwant PS2 DVD games and still be able to play them back on the PS2 w/o a mod chip.

My DVD burner is: Sony DRU-510A (all format)

My DVD burning software...
    1. Sonic
    2. Nero 5.5
    3. Record Now DX
    4. Easy CD Creator 5 Pltnm
    5. DVD X-Copy (full and X-Press)
    5. soon to download trial ver. of CloneDVD

My PS2 ver. (no chip) is: SCPH-390001 (whatever that means?!?) So far I've been able to play (movies) -R, -RW and +RW (haven't bought +R disc yet)

I followed some instructions the other day from another site http://www.psx-paul.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/recordnow-max-tutorial.htm that suggested that it could be done using RECORD NOW MAX (but it did not spec. if I need a chip or not), since I only have the DX ver. I followed the same exact steps (burn image, burn disc). When I tried playing X-men: next dim. I got a big fat: Insert PS2 Format Disc...

Needless to say after my second disc of not playing, it was going to get real expensive making frisbee's for my son.

Then today I'm at my local CompUSA store and I was pointed in a possible direction that might work, or so I was told. A guy working there told me he was making backups using Easy CD creator 6 and using +R disc and that they worked fine. When I tried to ask him about the steps he used, he wouldn't tell me, even though I knew I was phrasing my question correctly. Oh well.

So is it possible to play backed up PS2/DVD games without a mod chip? If so do any of my programs do it, or do I have to break down and go buy either RECORD NOW MAX or EASY CD CREATOR 6? I really don't want to go the way of the mod. chip if I don't have to, as I know only that they're out there and that some are soldier (sp?) on and some are not...

Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2003
  2. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

The easiest way I know of w/o having to install a modchip is to get yourself a fliptop case and the swap magic dvd/cd combo.

3. Brent1409

Brent1409 Guest

You need a modchip or a boot disc to play any back up games . If you dont want to install a mod chip I recommend getting the flip top with the swap magic boot disc

4. billz

billz Active member

no-solder chip is very similar you just plug it in and use swapmagic disk.Is there a reason you don't want to mod your ps2? expense? worried you'll break it? fliptop or no-solder mod can be done by anyone. if not an option make yourself a swap card(if your desperate).your xmen disk may work you need a gameshark,actionreply,or swapmagic disk for swap trick

Last edited: Jun 3, 2003
  5. jumbo11

jumbo11 Regular member

"if not an option make yourself a swap card(if your desperate).your xmen disk may work you need a gameshark,actionreply,or swapmagic disk for swap trick"

GS2, AR2 & SMD - they all let you play backups right using a swap trick (knife trick)? right. what about original imports (CD)? I know you can play original imports with SMD but what about GS2?

Thx,

6. wwwwww

wwwwww Guest

<removed by admin>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2003
  7. rosedog

rosedog Regular member

no-solder chip is very similar you just plug it in and use swapmagic disk.Is there a reason you don't want to mod your ps2? expense? worried you'll break it? fliptop or no-solder mod can be done by anyone. if not an option make yourself a swap card(if your desperate).your xmen disk may work you need a gameshark,actionreply,or swapmagic disk for swap trick

I'm not to worried about breaking it, I was smart enough to buy an extended warrenty thru best buy (if it breaks bring it in for a swap, I recommened that to anyone, when my DRU-500A "broke"
    I took it in and the store just happened to only stock the new model and so I now have my 510A at least until about this time maybe next year...I could give countless examples but that's not what I'm here for.),
    I just don't want to really do it! But I have been told by two completely different sources to check out a local game shop that does mod. chips to play 'import movies" (can we say "LAY-ZER" - A.P.).
    For some reason I just feel that there is a way to do it with out chips or flip tops (IN NO WAY AM I DOGGING ANYONE ON THIS BOARD I RESPECT YOUR INPUT),
    just like when people said you can't copy commercial DVD's to DVD, then came DVD-X-Copy and now CloneDVD.

But if I do go with a chip, what is the best one to get? Is there one that can play Copied Game DVD's without Gameshark or anything else like that (i.e. swap, fliptops, ect...), if so how reliable is it?

Thanks once again...

8. Ketola

Ketola Fighting ninjas Staff Member

User wwwwww banned for being a wanker.

9. Tyransour

Tyransour Guest

rosedog,
    The only way to play backups without using mod chips or swap tricks is to patch the game image.
    First, get the game image into ISO image file.
    then, patch it with a pacher file specifically design for the game. the last step is just burn it.
    This is a very hard method, because the pacher files are very very specific. Different version of the same game have different patcher file.
    It is also fairly hard to find these files on-line.