1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning -Never try and get a DBox fixed via this site

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by tracie212, Feb 25, 2007.

1. tracie212

tracie212 Guest

I';ve just lost £200 trying to do so. PM me for more details

2. Veng

Veng Member

Sry To hear about that, alot of scammers out there , a bit on the dear side though 200 quid for a d box, there have gone up in price recently but not that much £150 max :(

3. zappp64

zappp64 Regular member

she is referring to me as the person who broke here box..

to summarise her sagem box was freezing and as most of you will know changing UCodes fixes this issue, however for some reason UCode changing has broken this box... has anyone ever seen this symptom where as changing UCode has broken the box.

I have also informed the person to post the box to me so I can reflash it for her, and obviously I will cover postal cost both ways.

4. Veng

Veng Member

Thats gd of you :) i think its possible to restore bk up into debug mode then reflash, that should work

5. zappp64

zappp64 Regular member

I deal with dbox all the time and never ever have I seen changing the ucode to break the box

it was running commando 6 - so renwich as your one of the commando developers, can you shed some light on this issue - changing ucode breaks the box...

6. benifa

benifa Regular member

Zap:

Are you serious? I remember reading a thread a while back that this tracie was begging for help.. She's in London if I remember rightly, and you're in the North of England? I also remember you bending over backwards to help with her issue.. ???

7. zappp64

zappp64 Regular member

benifa

yes mate, basically her sagem box was freezing so as you know a change of the UCode should fix the problem (which has done for me and many others) but her broke .. she says the remote doesnt even work anymore.. so i am lost as to this, have you seen this issue before

I have also told her to post me the box and I will reflash it with the commando 6 image and pay for postal cost both way as I feel guilty on this one..

8. benifa

benifa Regular member

No, I've not seen this before, but then I'm not as experienced as you are. Thinking about it, is it even possible that changing ucodes can "break" the box? Call me sceptical, but it seems very doubtful. Incidentally, I just PM'd her asking for the details of the site who broke her box (as per original thread).. And got this reply:
    "What message was this? LOL I write so many!
    Did you want a cheap DBox?"

Are you sure she's not trying to pull a fast one?

9. zappp64

zappp64 Regular member

I am just helping people out here and if I was at fault for breaking the box then I have told her to I will pay 200 pounds for the box so she gets her money back...

money is nothing to me mate and I am not one to be accused for giving false information and breaking others box's.

10. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Its simply not possible to break a box only with changing the ucode version.
    If the image is corrupted at the box a reflash sort it out.

11. zappp64

zappp64 Regular member

my theory hence I have asked her to post me to box to re-flash with me paying postal cost both ways..

as you may know or not, I am here to help people and not hinder them and if she feels I have caused more problems then I do apologise for this...

12. benifa

benifa Regular member

I totally agree.. (not about the money is nothing to me part though - I'm not quite that flush - lol)..

But why did it cost her, £200 (if indeed it did).. Like I said, I hate to be sceptical, but I work for a rather large UK ISP, and the amount of customers I speak to on a daily basis, who will do and say anything to convince you that their router is broken, or we've broken their PC, it's just untrue.. Still, I fail to see how changing ucodes can cause a box to break..

Tracie: What are the symptoms? Why not post that here? How you tried flashing using IFA and a null modem cable (not in Vista ;p) ?

13. zappp64

zappp64 Regular member

her symptoms are when her broke freezes the whole box stops working including remote control.

in my experience even if the picture freezez you can still use the remote control..

I am emailing her directly to sort her out.. I feel guilty now...

14. benifa

benifa Regular member

Ok, well in that case (even with the remote not working), she can still flash using IFA can't she?

Zap, don't feel guilty, how is it your fault?!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  15. zappp64

zappp64 Regular member

well it was working as such but freezing and when i told her to change the UCode it went tits up as such so I kind of feel guilty about it..

16. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

And whats the result if she unplug and replug the box.

17. benifa

benifa Regular member

Tracie?

18. zappp64

zappp64 Regular member

she emailed me directly and said she wont be back for a while.. seh paid 180 quid for her dbox.. which is a bit too much..

19. wiz569

wiz569 Regular member

Hey zapp dont feel guilty man we are only here to offer advice we dont give guarantees,
    The odd time my box freezes(Sagem 1x) the remote does too but I just unplug it then plug it back in and away it goes,
    Cant see how changing ucodes could do that?

20. benifa

benifa Regular member

Fair enough..

'tis a bit on the expensive side, I can understand why she's somewhat peeved..

Anyway Tracie, I genuinely hope you get your box sorted. Zappp64 is a good fella and knows his stuff. Changing ucodes does not break your box..

There must be another reason you are having problems. If I were in your shoes, I'd firstly unplug and replug, like mgb17 suggested, and if the problem persists, flash using IFA. If that fails, flash using IFA and a null modem cable..

Failing that, I can only assume it's a hardware problem..