1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was my "new" HDD used?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Jalover, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Jalover

Jalover Member

Yesterday i purchased a "new" 20gb hdd from Sears' clearance rack thinking I got a deal ($58 after tax). I checked the packaging prior to buying to see if it was reduced because it might have been an open box item or refurbished. The package was in perfect condition and sealed. So later that night I snapped on the 20gb hdd only to find files there from the previous owner i assume. There was a music play list, gamer pictures, and a few other things. So my question is, is MS pulling these HDD out of dead Xbox 360's and reselling them as new? If so, I am not mad but disappointed in MS since this is my first Xbox console purchase. I think that's pretty shady and misleading.

2. phelixnyc

phelixnyc Regular member

Well I know that the hard drive on my premium 360 came preloaded with content shrinking it down to half the capacity, don't remember if it had a play list. If you feel uncomfortable return it. If the new one has the same content on it then its probably MS who placed the content on the drive.

3. Jalover

Jalover Member

thanks for your reply. I probably won't be returning it because then I would need to send it back to MS and wait for the hdd to arrive and that would take too long. But if it came preloaded with stuff wouldn't that mean it was used before?

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Not necessarily. All the hdds come with some pics, demos, etc. already installed.

Now... if it had a profile already created, then that would mean someone owned it prior to you.

5. Jalover

Jalover Member

I see thanks for clearing that up. I did a search on google and you're right some hdd do come with preloaded content. There was no gamer profile on there so i'm assuming mines brand new. Well that answers my questions. Thanks for your replies!

6. phelixnyc

phelixnyc Regular member

No prob.

7. schweet

schweet Guest

I felt ripped off when I first got my 20GB 360 and it only had 13GB free space...