1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch dvd's on wii

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by bunny_c, Feb 23, 2007.

1. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Here is something that has been bugging me for the last week.

When i insert red steel,and select it from the wii menu,I'm brought to a screen which asks me to press they A button to continue,if you don't a small video starts of a guy playing red steel(like the ad).

The question is: If the wii is capable of playing that little movie,how come we can't convert our DVD's into the format that the little video was in and burn them onto DVD's and watch them?

When i say little movie ,i mean like a small preview where you see a guy jumping around his living room playing RED STEEL.

2. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

My guess would be its because we dont yet know what format that is, nor have tools to convert it to that. But, it seems probable that upcoming mod chips may allow you to just pop in a dvd and play. But thats not certain.

3. SporkNin

SporkNin Regular member

Eventually there will be modchips that will run dvd movies or just wait the wii version 2.

The reason the Wii can't run DVD's since Nintendo never licensed all the DVD rights (more money for them to spend on console production).

4. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

OK,but that still doesn't stop us from putting a DVD into a format that the Wii can read.
    So,the question remains: What format do movies need to be in, to be read on the Wii.

5. TheV

TheV Regular member

MJPG or something (I Forgot) try to convert a movie with Wiimovie9 and see what kind of file it is

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  6. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Here is another question:
    If i convert a dvd to DIVX(avi)onto an SD card, it can be read by the wii,so why can't it read DIVX from a dvd?

7. TheV

TheV Regular member

well the wii doesnt support divx(avi) from what i know it does suppert Motion Avi

and why cant the wii play dvd's where there are Motion Avi on it? i dont know never tried actualy

8. 077407

077407 Member

I heard that the new Wii around 2008 is going to have DVD playback enable but i'm not sure about the price going up. I cant remember were i read it, it say that it's being release in Japan first.

9. LiquidusX

LiquidusX Regular member

dvd players cost $30

10. krstofer

krstofer Member

LOL. I have two ps2s, an Archos, a psp, and a DVD player that plays DiVX files. I still want my Wii to play video. HAHA.

Everybody wants everything in one device. SOmetimes it's just unecessary.

So the WiiKey seems to be the consensus as the best one huh?

11. Memnock

Memnock Active member

This is why I have 2 modded Xboxes. You'll just have to wait until Wii is hacked to make it a media center. Note, the current chips don't count, because they are just DVD drive hacks.