1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WDTV Live vs FAT+

Discussion in 'Media tanks' started by gene0915, Dec 3, 2009.

1. gene0915

gene0915 Member

Not sure if this is the correct forum but really couldn't find a better fit.

Does anyone have experience with the WDTV Live and the Seagate Freeagent Theatre+ (FAT+).

I bought a FAT+ but haven't cracked the seal yet and I'm not sure if I want to return it for a WDTV Live. WD's forums seem way more active but the FAT+ can play menus inside DVD ISO files and doesn't appear to be plagued with as many problems (maybe that's why the WDTV forums are hopping......from people bitching a lot). Anyone have/had both devices? Which do you prefer? I love the WDTV GUI but if the box has tons of tech issues, I'll pass. I'll probably be streaming DVD ISOs and pictures over a 100meg CAT5e connection to the box from my Windows 7 server with a few terabytes of stuff on it. Does the FAT+ hold up well with accessing info over a wired network?

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I have not tried either, but I have heard a lot of complaints from the WD. I think this is why the forums are so populated; no one goes there just to say "I love it, it is working great"

3. gene0915

gene0915 Member

I guess WD released a firmware a few days ago (x.x.x.12?) that bricked a lot of boxes and pissed off tons of people. The more I think about it, the more I'll probably just stick with the FAT+. I think our logic is sound. (WD forums have lots of activity but they're all complaints.)