1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

web server configuration behind router - please help, someone

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by mattF099, Feb 20, 2005.

1. mattF099

mattF099 Member

ok. i am NEW TO THIS! after a couple of days i decided i would cross my fingers and try afterdawn for some help on this subject. I set up a wireless network in my house because now there is more than one computer here :) But when i only had one i was running an apache web server off of it and all i needed to do to acess tyhe server was type my ip or dns host name. Now ofcourse my ip takes me to the router configuration page. OK, but i want to access the servers files. I tried port fowarding but it never worked and each guide i found on the internet just looped me around in circles. DMZ seems to vunrable. I know there is some piece of knolage i am missing. the router is a Linksys wireless-g and i am using apache2 with a php-mod. everything is set up as dynamic ip. I know apache but the whole LAN thing is new and scary to me. Any help or knolage on the subject is greatly appreciated.
    p.s. I realize afterdawn is not the place where this sort of thing is usualy discused but there are alot of bright people out here, hope you can help.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you enable file/printer sharing on the computers & server. do the other computers get on the net

3. mattF099

mattF099 Member

Yes, every computer on the network is able to access the the net, but filesharing/printersharing is not enabled. I did somemore reading and found out that the computer w/ the server is supposed to have static ip assinging instead of dynamic as i had it confugered, but when i switched it nothing happened.