1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webcomic site design and updating

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by CKramer, Jan 15, 2007.

1. CKramer

CKramer Guest

The idea is that I've been meaning to make a site for a comic a few of my friends draw. The problem I'm having is that I'm not really all that advanced at web design and I don't really know how most webcomics (i.e. Penny Arcade) update their sites, add new rants, archive the old comics, and redirect all the links every time they come out with a new comic (that is, without having to extensively rewrite the site).

Is there some code or program that can allow me to quickly update a website in a set manner each time (ex. upload newest comic, previous comic is automatically moved to an archive folder and linked to in the archive page)?

Sorry if that's a bit unclear.

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i think what you need to do is google for tutorials on web design, or perhaps take a class at your local community college.

3. CKramer

CKramer Guest

If you know of any good tutorials for what I have in mind, that would be great.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

6. CKramer

CKramer Guest

Oh, I can make the website, I just don't know how to quickly update it. As far as I can tell, adding a new comic and accompanying rant would consist of:

1) Changing the links to display the new image and text
    2) Renaming and moving the files related to the old comic
    3) Updating the "Archives" page to include a link to the old comic
    4) Updating the "Next" link on the comic before that one

If I were to radically redesign the site, that would be even more trouble, obviously. I could use a Dreamweaver template for certain pages, I suppose.

What I wanted to know is if there was a way to streamline the above process into something more manageable.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

not that i know of; i'm not a web designer, but that seems to be the process everyone uses.

8. CKramer

CKramer Guest

Is that so...

Well, no one said it would be easy. I'm not the one drawing/writing them anyway, so I guess it's manageable.

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

good luck. if i ever hear anything different, i'll post.