1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weeks of pain and still NOTHING MPG4 to DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by IVannaDVD, Sep 23, 2004.

1. IVannaDVD

IVannaDVD Member

OK, here is the Deal. Trying to get 2 MPG4 (AVI) files to a DVD (-R) to playback in my DVD Player (Sony PS2). I have backed up 32 of my standard DVD movies with other methods and they work great in my PS2. I've been at this for a month off and on.

2 Source Files Info (From AVICODEC):

File : 271 MB (271 MB), duration: 0:54:36, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 41 %

Video : 0.0 B, 0 Kbps, 24.0 fps, 352*140 (2.51:1), MP43 = MS MPEG4 V3, Supported

Audio : 0.0 B, 128 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

** Notice the 'supported' in both audio and video. I can watch this clip FINE with WMP and NERO SHowtime, SO I assume I have the proper codecs installed. PS GSPOT shows the same info and that both audio and video are supported.

Here are the programs and problems I'm been 'trying' to use!

TMPGENC 2.521.58.169Free:
    Problem 1: Won't let me open the above AVI, says it's 'unsupported'
    Probelm 2: Been playing with this so long, the MPEG2 encoder has expired and I don't know how to reset it.

TMPGENC 3.0 Express:
    Problem 1: When trying to encode BOTH clips, I get a error "There is no quoted number of Charachter String"
    (When I try to encode 1 clip at a time, it seems to run but I cancel it. I NEED to combine them onto 1 DVD.

CUCUSOFT AVI TO DVD:
    Had the most success with this, but if memory serves (it's been over a month) I had quality and or audio sync problems.

Boilsoft AVI TO DVD:
    I think this had audio sync problems too.

WINAVI:
    Audio Sync Problems

Anyhow. It seems (as least as far as this forum is concerned that TMPENC products are the ones to use. I won't even get into authoring the DVD. I think I can handle this with NERO or something else. My problem is to get these 2 AVI (MPG4) files encoded first.

I've ALSO tried to combine the source files FIRST. I've have gotten audio sync problems here also. I forget what I used to do this. If anyone knows of a 100% TESTED AVI (MPG4) joiner, please let me know!

If I could get them joined before hand, I could try the TMPGENC 3.0 Express with the one file and see what happens.

Computer specs are AMD Barton 3200 (2.2Ghz), 512 MB DUAL DDR, SATA 80GB, XP Pro w/SP2 (I don't think the system is at fault for any of my problems).

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to post as much info as possible. Any help would be appreciated!

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

3. IVannaDVD

IVannaDVD Member

I give DVD Santa a shot, thanks for the tip.

In a update to my original post, I tried the TMPGENC 3 Express to encode each AVI (MPG4) seperately. I then used TMPGENC DVD Author to make the DVD Structure. Then I burned with Nero 6. My result was the same audio sync problems I had with the other programs!

Now, I figure this is because the source AVI (MPG4) is 23.975 FPS and the encoding to DVD (MPG2) is 29.xxx. I assumed the audio would be sync'ed, but it obviously wasn't. As I said in my first post, the other programs I've tried did exactly the same thing.

New question is now ... how do you convert a 23.9xx FPS AVI (MP4) to a 29.xxx FPS MP2 (DVD)???? I assumed the programs (including TMPGENC 3.0 Express) would account for this.

Thanks for any help!!!!