1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Backup Problems....playback issues...

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Myriad, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. Myriad

    Myriad Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2004
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    11
    Hey everyone. Any help will be much appreciated.

    Here's the deal...I bought The Terminal the day it came out. I backed it up using DVD X Copy and tried to play it tonight. When I start it up, everything appears fine but when the movie starts, it skips around. Like, it goes from one scene to another and it appears to be random. It's as if someone were pushing the "next track" button or something.

    Here's the strange part though...I put it in my other dvd player and it plays fine! I put it in my computer dvd player and again, it plays fine! So, I try another backup in my living room dvd player (the one that was acting up) and it works fine. So, I thought it was a fluke and put The Terminal back in....same thing...

    What could be the problem?
     
  2. kingjestr

    kingjestr Guest

    Did you ever get any kind of a response to this issue. What kind of DVD player was that was skipping?
     
  3. Myriad

    Myriad Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2004
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    11
    Sony...and it plays all my other DVD+R's perfectly.
     
  4. saugmon

    saugmon Senior member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2004
    Messages:
    6,064
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    116
    Possible media issue, all stand alones vary as for reading a + or - r. What media was your Terminal backed up on? What speed do you burn? The poorer quality media really stands out on the stand alone players.The good thing is that sony does try to play it.It usually doe not matter which programs you use to rip and burn,Files are files. The media is usually the culprit whether it is poor quality or just too fast of burn.
     
  5. kingjestr

    kingjestr Guest

    Mine is Sony also. I had the same problem with Hero. I guess Memorex media ia pretty crappy then.
     
  6. saugmon

    saugmon Senior member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2004
    Messages:
    6,064
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    116
    Memorex is great for vhs,lol, but dvd? 10% is ok,but the other 90%,junk. Memorex is like most brands,many different manufacturers with different quality levels.However,they mostly use lower quality manufacturers like cmagnetics.Your pc is suppose to read your backups. Now when you use the poor quality media in the standalone players,problems are magnified. You have a lot of variations between lasers that are trying to read it,thus,some players can't read them.. Same way with writing lasers.Media is the #1 problem in dvd burning.A highquality media takes care of the majority of problems.Some say older standalones need a slower burnspeed to be able to read them. Later
     
  7. Myriad

    Myriad Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2004
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    11
    I use TDK and I've NEVER EVER had a problem before this or since this....

    Maybe it was just a bad disc....I haven't tried it since then. Strange thing is, the disc will play fine in other DVD players! Plays fine in my PS2 and my other stand alone DVD player.
     
  8. saugmon

    saugmon Senior member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2004
    Messages:
    6,064
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    116
    The main thing here is as long as your stand alones play your backups ok.Stick with tdk's. And try to stay with the same quantity packed tdk's.That 1 bad memorex disc is like having cockroaches. When you find one,there are sure to be many more.I like to try out different media,but haven't tried any tdk -/+ r's. The +rws seem to be ok. Happy Holidays
     
  9. kingjestr

    kingjestr Guest

    Thinking about trying Ritek... Hopefully they work...
     
  10. thepcguru

    thepcguru Guest

    I just tried to backup "the terminal" too and the last 10 minutes of the movie was completely messed up. I think it's these sony 4x -r disks I'm using with my lite-on 611S burner. They don't seem to work very well. I had the same problem with GQ disks (which I renamed to CQ for Coaster Quality). I had one coaster out of 50 with memorex rx +R's, I just bought the memorex 8x's +R and going to try to burn at 4x on them.

    Someone also said something about changing the default to 4300 instead of 4360mb for the DVD's. I'll try without it first then see what it looks like with it. On DVD shrink i'm using the default sharp setting with deep analysis and the other thingamajig box checked.
     

Share This Page