1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Backup Problems

Discussion in 'PS2' started by djpfine, Oct 27, 2003.

1. djpfine

djpfine Member

Please help!

I bought my PS2 in August, 2003, and had it modified right out of the box with a Magic 3.1. It was done professionally and worked well. After a while, it started to take me anywhere around 3+ tries to get my backups to work. For those games, I was using an obscure "Melody" brand DVD-R. It would sometimes go to the red "Please Insert Disc" screen after the "Playstation 2" words appeared.

I stopped playing from then on until today. I made a backup of the new ESPN Basketball, and it never worked. I tried 2 Memorex DVD+Rs, 2 Maxell DVD+Rs, and 1 Apple branded DVD-R. None worked. The PS2 would only make a rapid clicking sound and would go right to the browser screen. Same thing with a backup movie I tried.

I did some searching on these boards, and thought maybe the laser was the problem. However, my PS2 flawlessly plays all my original games and movies everytime. So I'm stuck. I have no idea what to do.

Please help guys. The old "Melody" games work sometimes, but any new games that I burn on 'better' media fail every time. My originals work like a charm. I feel like I wasted a ton of money on the modchip, install, and now all these damn DVD-coasters I have lying around.

TIA

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I've used Melody before.

Anyway, try MORE different media, e.g. Vertabrim's because famous media generally tend to work more well. Also, make sure the DVD is a DVD-R because some PS2s have problems reading DVD+R. Always backup at 1x and read the tutorials if you're not sure what to do.

3. djpfine

djpfine Member

Thanks for the suggestion...

Yea, that's what I originally thought was wrong, so I tried out many different brands. I did DVD-R and DVD+R. The Apple DVD-R was supposed to be one of the best DVD-R's out there (www.dvdrhelp.com). Still nothing works.

Also, the Melody discs DO work, but they only work 1/3 times or so. This leads me to believe it's gotta be something else...I'm getting pretty desparate, my modchip isnt really worth the money these days...

4. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

is your ps2 a v7 as i am led to beleive the magic 3.1 as a hard time booting some of the new games

Last edited: Oct 27, 2003
  5. djpfine

djpfine Member

yes, i have a v7...

weird thing that my bro's ps2 with the same chip, modded at the same place plays games fine...not sure whether or not his is a v7, since he lives across the country.

6. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

v1-6 ps2's work fine with the magic 3.1 sony changed something in side for the v7 and that's whats causes the booting problems there are quiet a few members on here suffering the same problems as you with some of the newer games