1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird computer crashing...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by klimppi, May 10, 2004.

1. klimppi

klimppi Member

I`ve got this weird problem with my PC... If i do nothing with my computer it crashes almost immediatetly. It just jams... cant even move the mouse cursor. But if I for example move the mouse or do something else all the time it works perfectly. After booting windows always wants to check one of my hard drives "for concistency".

I`ve had this problem for long time but it keeps getting worse and worse. I have reinstalled windows xp for several times but it´s not helping. When i am using linux it works great. So could the problem be windows? Does the winxp for example start doing something (which would crash the pc) by itself when its not being used?

I have tested most of the hardware (hard drives, memory...) and i have found no problems there. Any ideas what could be wrong?

2. bird1234

bird1234 Member

I had a similar problem with the constant "drive concistancy check". That was do to the ide channel it was on. One day the data and drives would be fine, and all the data would be corrupted the next day. After I put it on another channel and didn't use that funky one, i never saw that screen again. Of course i'm guessing your booting from that channel and that's were the lockups occur. Now i know most people don't have an extra ide or sata controller card laying around, but that's what i had to move to, in order for me to get around this minor problem.

3. klimppi

klimppi Member

But the windows never finds any problem after checking. Did it in your case? I have both of the hard drives in the same ide-cable:
    80gb (c: and d:) and 160gb (f: and ext3) where the linux and windows are.

Win only checks c: and d: partitions but never the f:. Thats odd couse they are both on the same cable and the pc keeps still crashing if I use only the 160gb drive :O

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, I ran into a similar problem a while back but it was on an older computer that had been upgraded. Seems the IDE cable ribbons were 40 wire not the newer 80 wire. They almost look the same. Once I replaced the cables, everything started working like it should. Don't know if this applies to either of your computers. The 40 wire worked OK under other windows versions but the problem showed up in XP.

Jerry