1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird external hard drive problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by debbiell, Jan 15, 2007.

1. debbiell

debbiell Member

Hi All,
    I have been using a maxtor external, usb, 200gig drive to store my personal stuff for about a year. The other day when i double clicked on it in "my computer" to open it, it was empty? Also the computer no longer knows how much used/free space is on the drive? After a trouble shoot the computer now says the system on the external is RAW? (i think it used to ntfs?). If i take take the drive out of the case & put it into my PC as a slave & double click on the drive in "my computer" it comes up with an IO error?
    Does anyone know what i can do to retrieve the files on my external??
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Debbie

2. rogeball

rogeball Regular member

sounds like the drive crashed try and run a disk utility program on it like spin rite or disk warrior. if they dont help, the drive probably crashed. you have to be careful with external drives.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. debbiell

debbiell Member

thanks for the help everyone. looks like the problem is solved.
    Thank you all so much.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

so what happened to get it working?

6. suzi

suzi Member

Hi...new here and looking for help. what else?
    I have an external hard drive (internal in a box and fairly new). I have about 10, but this is first time i have ever seen this issue.
    It looked like it failed and red light came on, so my first instinct was to remove from one usb port and try another. When i removed usb plug from external USB the green indicator light went on so i naturally thought that i was correct in my assumption and tried an "on board" usb port. As soon as i plugged it in the red light came on again and drive was not recognized.
    Any clues?