1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Magic problems (not found similiar)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Jabb1, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Jabb1

Jabb1 Guest

Ok, I got magic 3.1 installed by local gameshop
    Like so many others I do have problems with it, but intrestingly they seemed to accumulate until nothing worked and some problems do point at laser problems, but then they kinda half fixed which does not sound like mechanical laser problem and others point clearly to mod chip or its installation:

First everything seemed ok'ish,
    - PS1 backups OK
    - PS2 originals OK
    - CD-R's sometimes booted only after 10 tries and do freeze very often during loading or loading takes ages.

Then one day CD-R's that did earlier boot, started to result more and more:
    - red 'insert ps2 disk' messages
    - green DVD 'can not read disk' messages
    - browser screen
    Originals did still boot

Then PS2 originals stopped booting also and everyting I tried to boot resulted browser or green DVD message.

I turned the chip off from switch (read below) and tried to boot (worked ok with PS2 originals in off-mode earlier)
    It did not boot at all, nada... only black screen...
    Turned chip back on and tried to boot few games, on one boot I got this:

1. Old playstation logo, but smaller than in ps1 boot without any text
    2. PS2 logo like it is in the side of the machine (made of blue lines)
    3. 'Select language' in several different languages.
    4. timezone etc settings.

After this it again started to work somewhat, PS2 originals loading sometimes not, CD-R's needing multiple boots, sometimes red screen.
    Same CD-R would boot at first time, then half hour later not at all no matter how many tries etc.

The weird thing about my magic 3.1 is that the shop had only 3.0's I wanted 3.1 and they said they'd get one for me.

When I got my machine back they'd installed a switch, like the main power switch, to front of the machine to turn chip on-off, which is weird due the 3.1 should have this feature already?

I opened the machine and checked the dust situation on laser lens and around, found absolutely none on the lens but cleaned it with dry q-tip anyway, didn't affect the loading/booting for good or bad.

My PS2 is PAL and I suppose V4 (8 screws in bottom with stamped electrical warning and 4 small screws on DVD cover lid)

Any help or suggestions are welcome as I live in Italy and do not speak the language good enough to have a debate with the gameshop dudes.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2003
  2. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

Open up your PS2 and remove the modchip and all extra solder. If this doesn't fix your problems, looks like you have to repair/replace your ps2.

3. Jabb1

Jabb1 Guest

Update: Yesterday I did switch the on/off switch to OFF to play original Vice City, then powered down and back to 'ON' to play backup, cd started to spin violently and I heard one single high pitched 'click' sound (did not sound like it came from the dvd-drive) I quickly turned the machine off and tried to boot again:
    Black screen, no boot. Can't even eject the cd-r still inside...nothing works.

Can bad magic 3 (or 3.1) installation do this?

4. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

I had similar problems, and i tapped the center of the PS2, and it allowed me to get my game out. So try pressing the eject button and tap the top center of the console.

5. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

That's really strange. If I were you, I'd remove the chip and see if your PS2 is dead =(.

6. Jabb1

Jabb1 Guest

Thanks for your advice, I'll try the tapping method when I get home.

But I'd really need to know, for getting my PS2 repaired/replaced, if incorrect installation or bad chip did do this and especially, how?

ie. "bad soldering on this and this wire can blow the fuse", or somekind of shortlist of possible thing to check that I can give to gameshop guys when I return the machine to them.

Otherwise it'll take weeks to get them agree that it is their bad soldering/mod, not my fault and fix it ....proficiency isn't really a virtue around here :(

7. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

Truth is troubleshooting may be the only way to isolate your problem. There are just too many things that could be wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong, but imo there's no simple solution to your problem.

8. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

I had a similar problem and i tried and tried and could not find the problem. Tester, magnifying glass, hammer, etc. I took off all wires, cleaned up all soldered points put it back together without the chip found it was working ok and install the chip slowly and properly testing every connection before i did another. when done, i cleaned the board with a soft old toothbrush and solder solvent and it is now working like a charm. Took a while but... avoiding it may take you more frustrating time like it did me.

9. Jabb1

Jabb1 Guest

Thanks for advice, I returned it yesterday to gameshop and can just hope they can fix it...

Oh why cannot modding/burning PS2 can not be as easy as with PS1? :)

10. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

Think it's bad now, wait till PS3 is out.

11. Dorm

Dorm Member

I have the same problem. Can anyone help please?

Thanks.