1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Nero 6 problem

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Nututhis, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Nututhis

Nututhis Member

I've been using Nero 6 for months now & its been fine. I've installed & re-installed it several times. Well last week I had to send my notebook to Sony to be repaired. When reloading Nero, if I click Demo version, I get a "Demo expired" message & if I enter the key it lets me use the software but after closing it & re-opening it, it ask for the key again. Normally I go into the Help\Enter New key, it would store it, but now I get a "The new key cannot be stored" message. I've tried v 6.3.1.0 & 6.3.1.6. I have no idea whats going on.

2. Nututhis

Nututhis Member

Anyone................

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Nututhis, welcome to aD,

Have you done a "Clean" Uninstall, using all the Nero tools especially the registry cleaner ?

To get Nero to work right it has to have 100% of the program removed then rebooted then installed -

Doing just the proggy remove is only 1/2 of the job.

If you need directions, just ask -

Cheers,

Pete

4. Nututhis

Nututhis Member

I used RegScrubXP & C Cleaner & removed all Ahead/Nero files, created a backup, rebooted, reinstalled, & still have the same problem. Like I said, it installes the program. It just wont save the ID b/c it says its expired.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

The proggys you used are good general purpose tools -
    But as in everything, you need the proper tools -

Do it again doing it with Nero's tools and the results will be different -

A "clean" Nero uninstall -

If you are going to uninstall Nero you must do a "clean" uninstall.

You must use all of Nero's Clean tools in order to do the job correctly.

They can all be found here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.html

General Clean tool
    Registry cleaner and driver cleaner
    InCD Clean tool

When you reinstall Nero 6 DO NOT install InCD OR if you do, turn it off in msconfig (better to not install it) it can and does cause problems with other proggys.

When installing and uninstalling programs it's a good practice complete the operation with a PC reboot. It only takes a minute, help it can, hurt it won't.

Whenever you're uninstalling a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even if it's not called for) to help "Flush" the program out. By the same token, when you install a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even though it doesn't call for it) to help the "New" guy "Settle" it in.

Now that we've done that (I know it's a "Pain" but when it's done correctly the first time and all the steps are followed then we don't have problems AND we don't have to do it all over again.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  6. Nututhis

Nututhis Member

Im lost now. Are those programs I need that you listed?? The link you provided is for a Nero program download. I thought C Cleaner & Reg Scrb was enough. So what should I do now??

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  7. marcello2

marcello2 Member

Scubapete is right: I had the same problem but it came back to normal when I used General Clean Tool. It works like magic, believe me!

8. Nututhis

Nututhis Member

Ok, I downloaded General Clean Tool & will give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes.

9. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Nututhis,

All suggestions given to you are very likely to resolve your issue. I just have one comment to add. When entering the Serial key for Nero 6 builds, it's best to do so through the Nero StartSmart, as I find this normally resolves the issue for those customers who enter it in from the Nero Burning ROM or Nero Express programs under Help->Enter new Serial key.

To Enter it via Nero StartSmart, just launch Nero StartSmart, click on the NERO icon in the top left fo the window. This will take you to the Nero Product Center. Click on the Serial Numbers tab. If your serial key is listed, click on the RED minus sign next to it to delete it. Then click on the 'Enter New' button and reenter your serial key. This normally resolves your type of issue.

Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA

10. Nututhis

Nututhis Member

I did all the instructions listed & still have the same problem. I ran the Nero cleanup tool & InCd clean up tool. Then removed all Ahead/Nero files with C Cleaner then RegScrub. Then I deleted the Nero exe file & files in the temp folder. Rebooted, redownloaded Nero (This time from Nero) & still have the "This version is to old" when I enter my key. My Vaio must be possessed. This is very vexing.

11. Nututhis

Nututhis Member

??

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Craig will be back shortly I'm sure, but I'll ask you the same question he'll ask -

Did you use Nero's registry cleaner ? I just remember when I told you what programs to use the last time but you wanted to use your own cleaners instead. I think that if just any-old-program would have worked, then Nero wouldn't have bothered making a special one that was designed to remove all of their stuff.

As I said way back -

Using programs in a hap-hazzard manner doesn't do the job right - it's why I went through the trouble of suggesting a specific order to cleanly uninstalling Nero so that all of our bases would be covered.

Pete

13. Nututhis

Nututhis Member

I did the exactly what you listed & it didnt work. After that didnt work, I rebooted did your steps again, then ran my 2 progs 2 take a couple of files that were left over, rebooted, & tried reinstalling again. It still didnt work.

Note: I did download the 3 files you listed & removed Nero with them.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ok, we're good to go -

As I said, Craig should around first chance he gets.

I've sent him a note to give him a "Heads up" to your problem -

Just hang in there -

Pete

15. Nututhis

Nututhis Member

Something else that I noticed is after running the Nero Clean tool, rebooting, & redownloading Nero, after installation if I click Demo it still says its expired. As well as wont let my store my key.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

No sweat, It's best to install your S/N through Nero SmartStart –

To Enter it via Nero StartSmart, just launch Nero StartSmart, click on the Nero icon in the top left fo the window. This will take you to the Nero Product Center. Click on the Serial Numbers tab. If your serial key is listed, click on the RED minus sign next to it to delete it. Then click on the 'Enter New' button and reenter your serial key. This normally resolves your type of issue.

17. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the delay, but I've been on the road and did not have time to acces any emails, let alone sleep. :)

NutuThis,

All the advice provided to you should have worked. But one thing rings a bell. You mention in one of your postings that you get an error message of 'This version is too old'. Now no version of our Nero software is too old fo XP. However, there are drivers and other files for XP that our Nero 6 software needs, and they may be old. Normally, Nero will detect that these files are old and simply replace them. However, if another program is using them, sometimes this is not allowed and Nero fails to install at all or install properly.

What is the 'Exact' error message you get here?

You can also send me an Email at techsupport4@nero.com and include your Nero 6 serial key, and I will create a registry patch that will force the serial key to be entered into the Registry.

P.S. Have you tried looking into the Registry under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>AHEAD>Nero-BurningROM>INFO
    to confrim no entry is made for 'Serial6'?

Regards

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA

18. Nututhis

Nututhis Member

1st off I have been using v6.3.1.6 for months now. After this problem I was trying to install 6.6.0.1. Neither 1 will save my key. If I enter my serial from the 1st Nero screen it lets me in. If I enter my serial from the help tab I get "The new serial could not be stored". Nero will now be closed down. Please restart Nero to make the changes effective. If I click demo, thats when I get a "Your demo has expired" message. On v6.6 If I go into Product Center/ Serial # & enter the key thats when I get "This demo version is to old to be installed.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  19. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

At this point I think you should send me an Email with your Serial key so that I can first check your serial key, and if it's good, then create a registry patch to enter the serial key for you. Send the Email to techsupport4@nero.com

Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA

20. Nututhis

Nututhis Member

Will do. I hope this can be corrected. I dont understand how this can happen if its been properly [bold]removed[bold] & [bold]deleted[/bold] from the registry.