1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird "no disk error"

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bassnut, Apr 30, 2005.

1. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

I have been trying to fix my girlfriends computer and have been getting a no disk error when we try to open / copy / watch a store bought DVD on her computer. We don't have this problem with any of my or her backed up movies only the originals.

I have uninstalled the drive ..... switched from Master to Slave and back again ..... checked the DMA settings ...... new drivers ..... could not find a new firmware flash for the drive though I didn't look that hard ...... this is my spare computer that I have let her use .... Dell 2.4 Ghz 512 ddr ram .... tdk 880 burner .... pioneer dvd-115 rom (the problem child). Tried Shrink ..... decryptor ..... 1click DVD ...... Nero ...... Nero Showtime ...... Power DVD .... etc all the same?

This is weird as the tdk works fine in either master or slave but the dvd rom will not pick up the original disks regardless of the settings but will pick up the burnt disks ???????????

2. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

U can try this way and hopefully u will be able to fix both of your drives. "IF" your IDE cable support the "cable select" mode, try switching both of your drives to Cable select mode. by doing this way, your IDE cable will automatically select which drive is master and which is slave. This method guarantee to work 100% if your IDE cable supports cable select mode. U can check my theory by going to http://www.download.com. They have a tutorial 4 installing the drives.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

actually, to use the cable select function properly you need a special cable, which I doubt you have.

4. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Your right squizzle .... didn't work .... wish I had see your post earlier though would of saved me the effort of opening the tower...... oh well I wil figure it out eventually.

5. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

My IDE cable I bought at CompUSA only costs $10 and it support "cable select." Is your cable like 1 or 2 bucks or something?

6. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

no ..... it is the stock cable that came with the pc .... I have a good hard drive cable here I should of taken with me .... gonna try that next time

7. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

well y dont u spend $10 at CompUSA and see if you can fix your problem. And you can always return the cable if it doesn't work.

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Some discs do have issues in dvdrom's.....

However your problem seems to be the other side of the fence.
    Usually it is the blank type that has the issue and not the original.

Try uninstalling your dvd software and reinstalling it, my mate had a similar issue and it was connected with Nero.
    he uninstalled it and installed powerdvd and it read it fine afterwards.

Just a suggestion...............

Others have had similar issues with that dvdrom, and maybe something conatined here may help you http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=browse_forum&f=408

Let us know how you get on...................

Last edited: May 2, 2005