1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WEIRD occurance

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Mike313, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Mike313

Mike313 Member

yea so i backed up my copy of butterfly effect....worked perfectly....now i made a backup of the backup using nero...it said the burn process failed somewhere after 95% or somethin....so for kicks i put it in my dvd player...it worked PERFECTLY!!!....im not complaining or anything but why would the burn process fail and yet the dvd is in perfect working order all the way to the credits??? its just so weird i had to put it out here...crazy dvds

2. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Just because it plays doesn't mean there's no error in the disc. Something happened that Nero didn't like giving you the error. Some DVD players are more forgiving of errors than others.
    I'm curious, is this a full disc backup or movie only?

3. Mike313

Mike313 Member

the 1st one is a full disc backup of the original disc....the second backup is just a complete copy of the backup....i just dont understand how there could be an error...it should be like copying a cd or something, theres no protection on it or anything....i dunno its just odd

Mike

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

So your backup copy of a backup gave you the nero burn failure error.

What media and format was that original backup copy?
    How fast was that original backup copy burned?
    How fast are you burning when you try to re-copy that backup copy?

When I copy from one of my backup copies using nero express, I make sure that original backup copy is burned on a high quality disc like mccoo3 or mxl-rg02 and at a 4x burn speed.

The encryption/copyright is off via dvd shrink,so recopying is no problem for me if I take that route.

The poor media backups will give you problems on the reripping phase,aka nero.

Also that original backup copy may have been burned too fast also making reripping a problem.

Since your original post got to 95% when it failed, This leads to the outer edge of the disc.Keeping your target size at 4300 mbs will help. The outer edge is where uneven dye may occur.

The answers to the first 3 questions will also help.

5. Mike313

Mike313 Member

memorex dvd-r 4.7gb 8x max
    burnt at 4x
    tryin to recopy at 4x

so i know that it wasnt burnt too fast....and also the original backup was set to 4300mbs....i have no idea what went wrong with it

i know im not burnin too fast and my target size is 4300mb keepin data away from the outer edge....just dont know

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey mike,memorex can cause a lot of problems. Depending on which manufacturer made them,most of them are poor. Here's a handy free program to find out what manufacturer made those discs: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Let us know what that code is.

Usually memorex prodiscs are the best media memorex makes. C-magnetics corp is also another manufacturer for most of their media. C-mags are pretty poor. Reripping those c-mags will be very difficult.

This is another issue of poor media. It can screw you up so many ways like your issue of trying to re-rip your backups.Later

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  7. Mike313

Mike313 Member

ok 1st ur link didnt work but thats ok i searched for the identifier and found it...installed and ran it on a memorex dvd-r...it said manufacturer not found in database, manufacturer id: not present on disc....now the disc isnt blank, i dunno if that matters at all...i also dont have anymore blank dvd-r's from memorex

i just ran it on an HP dvd-r same thing happened no manufacturer, no id....so im not sure

on another note about butterfly effect...i made a copy of the original copy today no problem EXCEPT i had to analyze in the E:\ drive not like i do normally in my D:\....so when the movie was done analyzing in nero i had to eject the disc from the burner and insert the blank one....with this method i had no problem burning a complete copy (no errors at all).....could there be something wrong with the D:\ drive on my computer??? im wondering?? or maybe its just havin problems with this disc in particular?....i dunno any help is mush appreciated