1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird PC resetting issue. Please assist!!

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by xHaydenx, Jan 12, 2007.

1. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Lately my PC has been resetting itself out of the blue, usually right when I'm in the middle of something. When it restarts, a dialog box comes up saying that the system has recovered from a serious error. Under the technical aspects of the report it says:

C:\DOCUME~1\Hayden\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4089.dir00\Mini011307-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Hayden\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4089.dir00\sysdata.xml

Does anybody have any idea why my PC is resetting?

2. onya

onya Guest

xHaydenx,
    Could you be more specific as to what happens? EG: gameing, scanning,ripping/copying etc? There are so many reasons that this can occur. Also post the spec's on your rig, incl if it's o/c'd etc.

Cheers.

3. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Well, the screen just goes black and then the PC resets. It hasn't done it while burning, scanning or ripping etc. The times it's done it I've had Itunes, Bearshare, Azureus, and Word running.

How do I get the specs of the PC? I know it's got a 3 gig processor with 512 ram, and a Radeon 9200 video card.

4. onya

onya Guest

That'll do for basic specs. Is your system overheating? Remove the side cover temporarily and use a personal fan pointing inwards(on full) Use your machine as you've described, is there an improvement? Does it seem more stable? A couple of days ago we had temps of 42c ~ 43c so rather than wait..out came the fan. Works a treat.

If/when you remove the side cover, look at the sticker on your power supply, what are the ratings printed?

Running a benchmark on selected components can often highlite errors or malfunctions. Pls read guides carefully.

Use the following links for system utilitys.

For CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

For Everest home edition http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

For Sandra lite http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/?dir=news&location=xi_release&a=XIb

All utilitys have their own guides, best of all they're FREE.

The last two have benchmarking.

Keep us posted.

Cheers.

5. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Okay, I tried the Everest program and made it do a Hardware report of my PC, but if there are errors there, then I don't know what I'm looking for. I tried to post the report but it won't let me for some reason.

What should I look for?

6. onya

onya Guest

EDIT: Holy crap, now that's a report.. If I'm correct,when you run a burning in test with sandra (for instance), and a component fails the test, thats the report you'll need.

Have you tried the suggestions previously mentioned? Duplicating actions that cause a shut down, using a fan etc? It may be to your advantage to complete these simple trials before moving on. :)

As for everest home....I prefer sandra, sorry 'bout that. It's what you get used to i guess. I'm more familiar with it.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  7. onya

onya Guest

Had a look through the report for temps, your cpu's @32c your hdd's @36c. Pretty darn good so far. Temps don't seem to be the issue here. Did you get the ratings from your psu?

8. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Yeah, I was pretty certain it wasn't overheating. WHere do I get the PSU ratings?

9. onya

onya Guest

Your power supply ratings are on a printed sticker/label, fixed to the actual supply itself. Just remove the pc cover and have a looksee.
    The reason I've asked with regards to it, is it may or may not be powerfull enough to supply your machines needs(it's a long shot, but worth asking)

Between posts, I got to reading an article in Windows mag about frequent crashes, system freezes and data loss.(issue 34 jan '07 page 40)

It states that unreliable drivers, especially those that are unsigned, will/can cause these types of issues. Theres also a reference to the power supply unit, as in a graphics card that draws more juice than the psu can handle.

Does any of this ring a bell? Newly installed or updated drivers or devices?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  10. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I have to open the PC to hook up the mic to the front of the PC soon anyway, so I'll have a look at the supply ratings soon.

As for drivers and such, I update them regularly.

11. onya

onya Guest

If you know when such problems started to occur, do a system restore well before that approximate date, and see if that changes your rigs current issues. If this does(here's hoping) you can then analyse which drivers may have been the culprit, from that date onwards. If this does not change your current state, then undo system resore(back to square one)no harm done.

I'm almost convinced now that it's a driver issue. Your thoughts?

12. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Well, I have no clue when would be a good time to restore to, but I'm not too trusting of the System Restore process.

On a good note, the PC hasn't reset since yesterday when I uninstalled and reinstalled Bearshare and Azurues- and it's seen almost constant usage since then. I don't know, maybe it's fixed.

Could it have been a program like bearshare causing trouble?
    As for the drivers, is there a way I can find out if they are faulty?

13. onya

onya Guest

System restore has saved my sanity on a few occaisions, but it doesn't work every time with it's own checkpoints.

I'm totally unfamiliar with those apps, but it sounds like you've struck gold. I sincerely hope that your probs are gone. (do a create system restore point, just in case.)

Digitally signed drivers are certified by MS as being totally or as close to being, compatible with windows. If I've read correctly, this costs money for the third party company. Understandably, this process is often bypassed for cost cutting reasons.(makes sense)

The risk, however small, is that there may be conflicts, such as the ones you have/had experienced.

It seems 100% guarantees apply only to used cars... LOL

Good luck and Cheers for now.

14. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Yup. It seems to be running fine at the moment.

Thanks for all your help!