1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Problem, Need Expert Advice

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by maganese, Apr 8, 2005.

1. maganese

maganese Member

After narrowing it down, I am having problems playing Dvd files from my new hard drive (WD320GB) after ripping. I am running XP Home SP2. Files play perfectly fine when burned to a disc on Dvd drive or when copied to old HD but stutters when viewed from new hard drive location. Anyone have ideas for me to try.

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Thats a new one.............

What CPU and memory have you installed and also graphics card?

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

also what program are you trying to use to view these movies from your hard drive? And what kind of monitor are you using (LCD, CRT)?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

5. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Basically its your software player which is casuing the problem. You probably have the player setup to use hardware acceleration when you should be using the standard settings. If you do not have a 128meg video card or higher, using hardware acceleration will not work. Also take a look at the last time you defragmented your drive. I suggest using O&O Defrag V8 professional available as a trial at www.oo-software.com and use the Complete/NAME method to defrag your drive. Chances are its the software player you have set at hardware acceleration. Nero Showtime will do this without the proper settings as well as Windows Media Player 10 or Power DVD. When in doubt, use the defaults.

6. maganese

maganese Member

Sorry I am just getting frustrated. Athlon 1250 MHz, 256Mb RAM , Integrated Trident Blade 2D/3D video accelerator, Power Dvd, Dell CRT. [bold]I can copy VOBs and ISOs to the master drive and they play perfectly fine with any player but if I play them on the new slave drive they slow down to a stutter.[/bold] If I run them through Daemon Tools it is the worst but still works fine coming from the other drive. I did have to upgrade BIOS and SP2 before the new drive would be recognized at full capacity. DMA is set if available.

7. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

OK now I know what the problem is, you have a drive far bigger than what you can safely defragment or have checkdisk run on since it is probably bigger than 137Gig right? If so get yourself some partioning software and create two volumes for that secondary drive. Make one at approximately 40 Gig just for your flicks and no more problems. Everyone is pushing the big drive thing but why do you really need that much space for. If you save that much crap then there is no need to burn or you simply are hooked on saving things. Break up that new huge drive and your problems will go away.

8. maganese

maganese Member

I was trying to avoid partitioning in the first place and was trying figure out if there is something else that I need or need to do. I got the big drive for cheap and I initially planned on saving my Dvd and Mp3 collection but have decided to just store the Dvds on disks. If there is any other settings I am unaware of or maybe even an upgrade that I should consider then I am open ears.

9. maganese

maganese Member

I was considering making the new drive my primary but I don't know if this would be wise considering the problems I am experiencing already.

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Shouldn't really be any need to partition it, I have a 250Gb SATA drive that I use as storage, it has about 35Gb of information on it at the moment and has no problems playing video from it etc.........

However doing as BTFSB states may improve matters.
    If you have a particular file that you are having a problem with, and you can afford to reformat the HD, then try out the partitioning route just to prove/disprove it, thinking about it, it may just work out.........

Other than that, it does sound like your resources are running low for some reason, and stuttering etc, maybe down to the video settings or indeed virtual memory, I would pop in another stick of ram aswell (if this is feasible to do) just to give your HD a bit of a breather...............

11. maganese

maganese Member

Well, I partitioned the drive at 40GB and still having the same effect. I would not guess that it is my system giving me the problem because of the fact that the files play fine on the master drive no matter what player I'm using. Would anyone know if it might be the drive overlay software? If so is there another way to get the OS to recognize the full capacity.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Have a look in device manager and see if it is set for DMA mode, it may be sitting on PIO.

13. maganese

maganese Member

DMA is set

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Which IDE channel have you got it connected to?

Maybe worthwhile swapping it around and also make sure you have an 80 way IDE cable connected to it.......................

15. squizzle

squizzle Active member

you mention PowerDVD before. Have you tried to play the movie in WMP? Do you get the same results? I had issues with PowerDVD that I didn't have with Windows Media Player. Also defragging could mean a world of difference to you. Do so if you haven't already. Are you running XP? I am with a 200GB hard drive and don't have a problem defragging.

16. maganese

maganese Member

Alright, now your running me around in circles. Let me clear things up. I have an old drive that runs perfectly fine. Plays dvd files without any problems. It doesn't matter if I play the files using PowerDVD, WMP, Nero, or some other player. Now I install this new 320GB drive for storage on the same IDE controller as my old drive. I play the same dvd file on the new drive and I have problems with every player I use. I thought DMA was set but I might have been looking at the wrong controller so I am going to check that out again because it seems like more of a setting issue than it does hardware.

17. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Check your Master/Slave settings on the Slave drive and make sure it is set to Slave and not cable selected.

18. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

or set as master on your secondary port, so both hds are masters on both ports & the rom drives as slaves

19. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL, now I have joined the circles of manganese..............

20. chriscj42

chriscj42 Member

Chances are the drive is a 5400RPM drive (due to the large size). The difference between 5400rpm and 7200 rpm could mean a great deal in this particular hardware configuration. I'm just throwing that out there.