1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird problem with SVCD's

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by CRAZYmack, Mar 15, 2003.

1. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

OK, i just started usin SVCD's and figured out how wonderful they are. My DVD player will only play them with the "VCD header trick" When i play them, in areas of motion i get these weird scan line type things, i don't know why, i mean i put all the settings the same as the DVD i ripped it from...

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Consider a dvd player that plays svcd format. They have come way down in prices and I'm sure you can find one for about 50-60 bucks if you look real hard. :)

Shoey

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

CRAZYmack, before you applied the VCD header trick, what did you use to encode the SVCD??? btw, congrats on moving from VCD to SVCD, it is so much better! ;-)

4. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

I used TMPGenc with smartripper and DVD2AVI, i found out that there's nothing wrong with my SVCD or my DVD player, but what i found out is that the DVD that i ripped was bad. It wasn't commercially made, my friend got it in Russia and its one of those pirated ones, and there's something wrong with it. Thats the reason for my problem. Also, lets say my DVD player doesn't play SVCD's but it plays VCD's. What is the difference between an SVCD and a VCD with all the same settings as an SVCD?

5. Dela

Well VCD is MPEG-1 video and SVCD is MPEG-2! MPEG-2 has much better quality than MPEG-1 so a vcd with the same settings as svcd wouldnt do much for you, maybe a little better but still!!

6. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

ok, also, i got DVD2SVCD and was wondering, if once i insert my DVD and i start the process, does DVD2SVCD do absouletly everything for me? once its done ripping i don't have to start encoding, it does it for me?

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Other than ripping the dvd (SmartRipper or DVD Decrypter), yes. All you have to do the first time is input the proper settings. See the guide for more details.
    DVD2SVCD (CCE) guide: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59484
    Note that CCE is a 30 day trial program.

Shoey

8. Dela

Actually DVD2SVCD can rip the dvd for you aswell!

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Not really recommended though. After install vStrip is "unchecked". Stick with SmartRipper or DVD Decrypter.

Shoey

10. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

Hey Dela,
    I started to get my hopes down for the SVCD's just because I had made one and it was very jerky and skippy. I found out that the source video was 23fps and i encoded it at 25 fps, so once i put it to 23, it solved it all. Also a question, the only reason i stick with TMPGenc is because of the keep aspect ration option. ON any other encoder i've used i haven't been able to find a keep aspect ratio option. Is there a way to "Keep aspect ratio" on CCE-SP? I looked on the trial version and couldn't find it.

11. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I've never enocontered this problem using DVD2SVCD with CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder). I've backed up nearly 150 dvd's. When you load the ifo file (after ripping), DVD2SVCD detects and automatically puts the correct aspect ratio in dialog box for you.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2003
  12. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

ok, just wondering. Because recently i used another mpeg encoder and it was nice, it was fast and it had the same aspect ratio that the movie was in, but when i burned it, it was all messed up on my screen.

13. Dela

What you burn it with??

14. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

I use nero, but ive never had an aspect ratio problem with it before because i use TMPGEnc. Now, when i used CCE i had the aspect ratio problems.

15. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

Hey Dela,
    I just found out that i have adobe premiere on my computer. Should i be using that instead of all the freeware toolz? will it be better?

16. Shoey

Shoey Guest

CRAZYmack,
    Tick "safe mode frameserving"(DVD2SVCD). in the Encoder tab folder. Doom9 suggests ticking this option if your using higher version of CCE 2.5. It's worth a try.

~O-O~
    Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2003
  17. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

ok, now this is really annoying. I've got two 1.1gb files that i want to combine to get a 2.2-2.3gb video mpeg-2 file. ONce i have the combined file I want to split it into 3 parts and burn it onto three CD's. Well, for somereason none of the splitting/merging on DVTool works? I get unplayabale mpegs, the first one plays about 10 minutes in thats all. And when i Use TMPGEnc it merges them all right, but it doesn't make them into a big mpeg2 file, its makes them into a 2.2gb unknow "file" thats what its called: a "file" any help would be great as i would like to watch this movie.

18. Shoey

Shoey Guest

CRAZYmack,
    I told you what program and encoder to use to backup dvd2svcd but you won't take advice. Why some people around here "take the long way home" backing up dvd2svcd is beyond me. I have no advice to give you with your current problem.

Shoey

19. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

I know what u told me, but im usin TMPGenc because CCE-SP is really expensive. Also, I'm not backing up a DVD im encoding from an AVI ATM so i can't use DVD2SVCD. I was just wondering if anyone knew why i can't split and merge the files ATM.

20. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

hey dela,
    I read in an earlier post how old u were, how then can u afford CCE? isn't it like 2000 bucks?