1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome to the Future

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by wilkes, Aug 22, 2003.

1. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Oriphus, I suppose what you suggest could be done, but I think the playing time would be severely curtailed. (Hi-Reg MPEG2 video, with Hi-Res multichannel DVD-Audio would eat up an awful lot of space even on a dual-layer disc).

And I have to wonder what kind of general mass-market would be interested in watching Rambo or Terminator II blow up the bad guys, while listening to the gentle shimmering presence of a gently-brushed cymbal through a 5.1 surround system?

One Exception would appeal to me here (for perhaps, a 'Universal' disc): A High-quality live (recorded) Music Concert Performance. In that one instance, I would like to see the 'best of both worlds' come together. (But I'm not holding my breath waiting). - mgb -

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

The big problem with high res sound, PCM multichannel with a movie, is available bandwidth. DVDA has a maximum of 9.6MBPS, which is fully used by 24/96 surround material with MLP packing (without the MLP it's over 13MBPS).
    This leaves the square root of FA available for video.
    Until the next evolutionary step - probably using holographic storage, which is being developed by Quantum and IBM at the moment - we will be stuck with Dolby Digital or DTS. For live music videos etc. DTS is probably a better bet as it's compression ratio is only around 4:1 against the 10/12:1 of Dolby Digital.
    Until this happens, I strongly believe we should be keeping video & music apart. I used to think that the music was far more important than how the performers look. I still do on a personal level, but the cynic (realist?) in me says this is no longer the case. This is sad, as talent is becoming a very secondary issue.
    The current case where the RIAA are now suing individuals is a good case in point as to where mistakes are being made. IMO, fileswappers are not the musical version of Jack The Ripper. they are the kind of person that will record to blank cassettes if the internet did not exist - and blank tapes didn't kill the industry either.
    The big problem is the constant barrage of re-released compilation albums rather than development of new talent.
    I assume you are familiar with the "pop idol" thing. Now think how much better that money could be spent in developing real talent, rather than building up the hopes of a sad collection of idiots who believe they can take a shortcut by singing bad versions of songs they didn't write.
    Develop songwriters, not models. The music business should be first & foremost about the music and nothing else.
    Mike has proved the point with the search for The Who. Okay - they don't make new records any more but the fact that there are at least 5 "greatest hits" compilations out says to me that the label should be out there looking for the new Who, not the next Gareth bloody Gates!!
    All the time that adolescents with no disposable income are considered the main priority the industry will remain in crisis.
    A&R should be out there looking for Talent, NOT sat on some dodgy gameshow panel.
    Aargh - I'm ranting. Please accept apologies.
    Going now before I blow a gasket. Got this DVDA album to mix, so I guess I'd better get on with it.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Im not sure that Quantum and IBM's holographic Discs are the future, though i dont know much about them at the min (ill make a point of finding out :D). I think we are going to see HD DVD through Blue and Red Laser systems (red maybe at 15-20GB and blue around 50GB) With this size of disc, i really dont see 9MBps being a problem. Then with HD DVD we can enjoy both, high resolution images and high quality audio, an extremely good combination if you ask me. Out of curiosity, what sound systems are used in the Cinema. I am aware that DD EX and DTS and THX certified sound is all used, but in what format as i doubt a cinema would use formats similar to the DVD's.

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

The problem with bitrates is in the players as opposed to the discs!
    For the HD-DVD to be viable, it will have to be backwards compatible with "conventional" DVD IMO. Sounds like an interesting idea - I wonder what the movie industry will say, as they had a big enough problem with DVD. Their main issue being near broadcast quality video, or in the case of HD-DVD actual broadcast quality video, available openly. It will be a pirates dream! Let's face it, all the copy protection methods currently available can be got around easily enough - they only asppear to be there to deter casual copying, which is not where the big losses are!
    As far as cinema sound goes, I have no idea other than it goes up to 10.2 at this time.
    Anything I have done that gets a cinema release has had to be remixed, as I don't have the monitors - or space - to deal with 10.2, even though I have the software to do it.
    I'll dig deep & find out though.

5. A_Klingon

Hmmmmm.... I was not aware that 24/96 required MLP to remain within the bandwidth limit. (Are we talking 2-channel 24/96 or multi-channel, or is this irrelevant?)

Also, I assume the Meridian Lossless Packing decoding takes place within the dvda player's internal circuitry. (???) I guess it would have to. (Please excuse my basic player ignorance; I very much want to get a dvda machine now). Screw sacd. I read the white-paper link you referred me to. <.pdf download> I've always had respect for the AES' findings, and I do [bold]not[/bold] like what they had to say about 1-bit sigma delta conversion.

Please feel free to rant about the Music Industry's hopeless chase. I think their only agenda is profit/greed, and that that is what is currently driving what's left of the industry.

(But some would say that today's adolescents/youth has more disposable income than we did when WE were kids.)

Regardless, I hate 'hip-hop'; I hate rap; I *loathe* 'gangsta rap'; I hate rock music videos. Dizzy, irritating Eye Candy. Bankrupt of musical ability. It all looks the same, feels the same, sounds the same, IS the same. -- mgb --

Last edited: Sep 10, 2003
  6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

the 24/96 MLP is for surround, not stereo. It also applies to 24/88.2 surround as well.
    I think you have made the right choice for a DVDA over SACD. seriously consider the Limit DVD9900SE from Richer Sounds - it's about £150.
    Where are you based??

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I think he's a Canadian...:D

8. A_Klingon

Yep. (Hi Oriphus).

Nova Scotia, Canada.

Will probably buy local, wilkes. Entry-level machine for now. (very tight budget) Bells and whistles can come later. Sacd no longer a consideration. At all.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

10. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

The test design is finished. I'll start a separate thread about it in this forum. Let's discuss test-related things there, please.

11. A_Klingon

Wow. Oriphus, that is one pretty machine, and it has all the right outputs too.

I will (probably) have to (or at least want to) order by mail-order, as I fear any local distributer/dealer will automatically slap $100 + or so on top of the price merely because of the "newness" of the format, and for the priveledge (convenience)of just being able to walk in and out of the store with a player under my arm instead of having to wait 3 weeks, etc.

Am looking at some models from tigerdirect.ca, a Canuk mailorder firm who I just received 50 dvd-r's from. (But thanks for tip).

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No worries Klingy ;-)