1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well thats the end of that! what a week

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Ateahorse, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Ateahorse

Ateahorse Member

Heres how it went:
    3/8 - installed v4 no solder mod
    3/8 - ps2 motherboard stopped functioning
    3/10 - checked ps1 fuse and all other components for continuity and it looked all good but due to some info decided to replace the ps1 fuse on mobo
    3/11 - gor .4 amp surf. mount fuse and soldered it on
    3/12 - checked continuity of fuse and everything checked out
    today - retried turning on ps2 as normal and nothing...(oh yeah i also replaced the PSU fuse and the reset/eject ribbon so i guess my current status would be defined as "up shit creek" pardon my language :(

oh yeah and if anyone has any helpful info, i mean ANY whatsoever please post it!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2003
  2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Back in the old NES days, it was common for some reason for me to have a problem with my system losing power due to a failed 7805 voltage regulator chip. I've noticed that the PS2 makes use of these as well. It's a black square, relatively large compared to other components soldered to the PS2 board with 3 legs coming out of one side and it'll be laid flat against the board and should be clearly marked 7805. Sorry, I don't have a link to a picture handy.

3. Ateahorse

Ateahorse Member

thanks for your reply, i am gonna check that out.

4. Ateahorse

Ateahorse Member

ok this 7805 voltage regulator, i was looking over my main board for any 3 leg attachments, and i found 3 big one, so i am assuming the big ones are what you were talking about. ok anyway 2 of them say 78M05, and 1 says TA7808, i am curious as to are the 78M05's the ones you were talking about?

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

That's the one alright.

6. Ateahorse

Ateahorse Member

if checking to see if it is still good would i just check the continuity of it, like a fuse or a voltage reading? and there are two of them, should i replace them both?

7. Ateahorse

Ateahorse Member

well i looked at radio shack and all they had were the big 7805's not the smaller 78M05's

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

You could probably do a little improvising if size is the only difference between the 7805 and 78M05. Just beware that the back of the chip generates quite a bit of heat and if possible, you might want to install it in such a way that the head sink is facing up against the metal ground plate and use that for supplimental cooling.

9. Ateahorse

Ateahorse Member

oh yeah i see what your saying, hmm well i got nothin to lose to try it, so i think i am going to go for it, but i can't do it till monday so i will just wait till then, and i will keep you posted on the turnout

Thanks a million for all your help, you were the first person to suggest the VR instead of a stupid fuse.

10. Ateahorse

Ateahorse Member

ok well i had time last night to solder it but no luck, it is just too big, i guess i will have to go searching for a small 78M05 Volt Reg. but thanks for the idea anyway. hmm where can i go to get a 78M05 because 7805 is too big?

11. Ateahorse

Ateahorse Member

bumping this up, please help!