1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WEP Key?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Known, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Known

Known Member

Where is it?
    What is it?

2. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

The WEP key is a security code to stop outsiders accessing a private wireless network, like a password.

If you have one, it sould be located on the wireless router.

3. jorge17

jorge17 Member

What type of Wireless hotspot do you have? If its a 2wire then the code should be located under the bar code on the wireless hotspot and the letters or numbers are in between [] like for example [1566761664426] and it can be in letters also. (code not real)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  4. Known

Known Member

Where do I find it on the Router?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  5. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

As jorge17 mentioned, the WEP key is usually close to the bar code. There can be other numbers there as well, so generally look for a code that's separated into sements of 4 letters and numbers, like serial codes on pc games.

It isn't always represented like that and may be in one long strip, but in any case it should tell you that it's the WEP key next to it.

6. jorge17

jorge17 Member

Did you ever use the option scan because if you didnt scan then there would be a list of routers that the psp scanned and the highest percentage that the psp reached out of the routers should be yours and each router should have four types of security none,wep,wpa-psk, and wpa-psk (aes). Choose your router but after you scanned check what security your router supports out of the four.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  7. Known

Known Member

Where is the WEP key on the router?

I know it is the WEP because it says that is the security type and everytime I try to select none it says I cant connect so then I just choose the security it had and now I don't know the Key/Password to get pass.

8. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

See my last post as to where the WEP key should be located. But if it's not where i suggested, look for other labels anywhere on the router.

9. Known

Known Member

I don't see it my router is a westell 6100 where should it be on that?

10. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

No idea, try and google it, there's hundreds of different routers on the market, so most people don't have a clue unless it's the same one they have :)

I just gave the general place.

11. Known

Known Member

Wait you meant on the physically or on the web somewhere cause I meant my Modem is a Westell 6100.

12. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Sorry for any confusion, i meant google it to see where your WEP key would be shown on your router. Anyway, it seems as if your router doesn't have a set WEP key, so follow this guide (found this on a website):

To login to your Westell Wireless Router/Gateway: Launch a web browser (Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox, Mozilla, or Netscape, etc.) on your computer, type in http://192.168.1.1 (default IP address for most Westell devices) in your web browser's Location (Web Address) bar, and press Enter on your keyboard.

If presented with a user authentication (login) screen, try the following:
    Default Username - Westell Wireless Routers: none (leave blank)
    Default Password - Westell Wireless Routers: none (leave blank)

If you have trouble logging in, verify that (a) you are entering your password correctly, (b) your CAPSLOCK key is off, and that (c) no one has changed admin password on your router. It could also be that the firmware (a set of instructions stored on an EEPROM microchip) on your router is corrupted. Under those circumstances, you will have to reset your Westell Wireless Router to its factory default settings.

NOTE: Secure your Westell Wireless Product (by entering a strong password, and a non-obvious WEP Key, etc.) ASAP if you have reset it to factory default settings. Failing to do so may expose your all your WLAN based resources to scammers.

Login to Your Westell Wireless Router, and Proceed as Follows:

How to Access or Change WEP Keys on WESTELL Wireless Routers: To access the WEP information, Go to the Configuration tab, and then to Wireless section.

13. Known

Known Member

you mean LAN cause I don't see any wireless section just a bunch of letters

DNS
    VC
    DHCP
    Public LAN
    Private LAN
    DEtect WAN

and then stuff that I already checked

14. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Erm... i have no idea then, doesn't look like there's a section for wireless, and that would be WLAN anyway. Have you checked in all the different sections to see if there's any option for a WEP key?

15. Known

Known Member

I don't know they're are lots of numbers in troubleshooting but none look like how you explained a key would look like.

16. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Well, that's for set key's, most routers (where i am anyway) all have a set WEP key, and are assigned out of the factory, no 2 keys are the same so they have to be long. But as it seems that you can change yours, it may not look like how i explained it to be.

17. Known

Known Member

well I went on maintenance and they have this thing called remote acess its has this enable remote acess but should I do it.

18. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I think that's just so you can access the router from other places, but try it and see if it works.

19. Known

Known Member

I'm starting to think its my provider they don't help me with my prob and they tell me to read the instruction manual which what I did before even asking them butI went on google and it told me the same thing you said so how do I "open" my wireless feature setting cause they don't seem to allow me to do anything bot even update.