1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Western Digital external hard drive problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Trojan101, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Trojan101

Trojan101 Member

Hello,

I'm using a Compaq with a Intel Celeron D 2.93 gig processor with Windows XP home edition. I also have a Western Digital 2500JB external USB hard drive.

The problem is that when I want to save something on the internal hard drive to the external (I almost always just drag and drop) its telling me that the disk is full. However, whenever I check the properties it says the disk more than half empty (130 free gig out of 250).

I hope thats enough info and I appreciate any help anyone can offer. Sorry if I've wasted your time on something easy that I may have looked over.

Thanks again.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what service pack do you have with your windows because if not sp1 or 2 then the useable space of your hd is presently 137gig not 250gig?

3. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Hey I've had the same problem. Umm, there is software that is located on the portable hard-drive. It's like manual and all that....etc. I just cut and pasted those files onto my hard-drive incase I needed them. Then I just used the empty external hard-drive like I would use flash memory - drag and drop.

4. Trojan101

Trojan101 Member

To be clear, I have an internal hard drive in the computer, and the external.

The only other software I've found besides what I saved are two AUTORUN files and something titled $VAULT$.AVG (what is that?) they all together only total a few KB.

I think I may have discovered the cause but I'm not sure. I still welcome any help.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's the hidden AVG virus vault. You must use AVG Anti-Virus, it's where it deals with any virus-infected files it finds.

How much of the drive is used? If it'll only let you use 137GB of it, then you need to update your windows XP service pack.

6. Trojan101

Trojan101 Member

Thanks for all your help guys, but I think I found the problem, at least when I made of couple of adjustments the problem stopped.

If it rears its ugly head again I'll post, but right now it seems fine.

Thanks for all advice.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sure, keep us posted.

8. ndtran

ndtran Member

Hi,

Please let me know how you solve the problem. I have the same problem, where copying files to the drive is not possible since it is saying that there is no space left although window xp shows that there are more than 60 Gig of space.

9. beckham10

beckham10 Member

I am having this same problem with this same hd. i can't figure it out. i have the latest windows sp2 update or whatever. I went to microsoft to make sure and it said i already have it. how did you fix yours?? HELP!

10. beckham10

beckham10 Member

It says i still have 200gb free.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Does saving files from, for example downloads work?

12. Trojan101

Trojan101 Member

Sammorris, almost everything on the hard drive is downloaded. Its like this, software is on the internal, and most of the files (video, some music, etc.) is on the external.

Okay, people are asking me how I fixed it, well, I'm not a pro, and its been awhile. I'm sorry. I know I did something about putting folders in other folders, and how much I move to the external at one time (one drag and drop). I know I tried a few different things and it started working again, I wish I could tell you exactly, but I don't have any kind of actual computer credentials.

Hope it works out for all of you.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  13. ndtran

ndtran Member

I still have the same problem. One of the thread I read mentioned that converting the drive to NTFS will make it work again. But I am afraid if I do it, I may lose all my data. Has anyone tried it yet?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't even know you could convert from FAT32 to NTFS without reformatting.

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sam, yes you can but not the reverse.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah right, yeah that makes sense. I remember I converted a drive from FAT to FAT32 once, but without having any idea what I was actually doing, kinda lucky I didn't do any harm...