1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB Clicking.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ptkut, Apr 21, 2015.

1. ptkut

ptkut Member

Hi, So i bought this hard drive right after christmas. The drive works and i have 400+GB left on it but maybe once a week it will make a clicking noise and then the drive will stop working. I have to unplug it and plug it back in and it will start working again. I did have it plugged into a long cable but after reading it may not get enough power that way i then used the cable that came with it but the problem still continues. The wd site says the next thing would be to get a power booster cable? Is there a way i can test if the hard drive is getting enough power or if the drive has issues?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Is this an internal hard drive? If so, I would copy all of the important information on it, to another drive, then get WD to honor the warranty on the drive.

Either that, or get a more powerful PSU.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

bruce, that is a 2.5" external laptop drive.

pitkut, if not under warranty, taken the drive out of it's enclosure & hook it up as a secondary on your desktop's sata port if your desktop is not a laptop.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Aaaah. Thanks, ddp.

5. ddp

no problem, teach & learn.

6. ptkut

ptkut Member

Thanks, yes it is a external drive and yes it is under warranty still. Just thought maybe something else i could do before trying to get it replaced. I have replaced my psu before i think it is a 460watt power supply.

7. ddp

talk to wd about that & ask if you can take the drive out of the enclosure to connect the drive directly to motherboard to retrieve the data unless they would do it for free.