1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what a good dvd burn

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by JagMan, Apr 14, 2005.

1. JagMan

JagMan Regular member

hey i want to get a dvd burn to burn a game and movie so what a good dvd burn to get

2. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

There are probably a lot of good good DVD burner/writer out there now. However, it all depend on you alone - if you've got the money then pick wisely. On the other hand, for me, I have a SONY Double Layer/Dual RW Drive 16X (DVD/CD ReWritable Drive DRU-710A, ATAPI/EIDE internal) and it has been doing an amazing job so far. I also have an I/O Magic 8X DVD/CD ReWritable Drive (internal) which works great too, but haven't used it lately.

Like I said; there's a lot in the stores, so the choice is yours.

3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Everybody has there own preferences, and it also comes down to the amount of money you want to spend. I have a Lite-on 1633S and I paid 140.00 and it works very well, I just purchased a HP Lightscribe 640i from Walmart for 89.00 and it also works well, it even updates its firmware automatically which I like. Do some research and decide what works best for you.

4. JagMan

JagMan Regular member

yeah but like some people told me that u have to have one that burn at a speed of 1x so that the game will work good how do i know if it have a speed of 1x

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Burners don't actually have speed settings. Your burner will read the blank media and determine the fastest speed at which it can be safely burned.

The burning software you are using should have a setting that lets you select 1X or whatever speed is available and control your burn speed that way.

I like that Sony DRU-710 that alkohol mentioned. I've got a Pioneer DVR-109 that works well too. When I use Nero to burn with I can set the speed with that.

6. JagMan

JagMan Regular member

it not the dvd burn it the program that have to set it at 1x and what a good programs to burn games

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

8. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Stick with a known brand of burner and use DVDFab Platinum with DVDIdle Pro for movies and use VSO software's BlindWrite for games.

9. we_rule

we_rule Member

I have gone through 6 burners in the 7 months. I started with a Toshiba 4x that died after 2 months, an Artec that died 10 after 9 burns, 3 Emprex with too many issues to mention.

Finally I bit the bullet and spent $110 and got a Plextor PX-716A.

I have sucesssfully burner nearly 150 discs with 1 coaster in the last month and a half. I am using Ridata and Verbatim discs. I am very pleased with this drive.

I agree with other posts that it is your own preference for a manufacturer. I suggest that you purchase the drive from a store with a good return policy. I believe Walmart is 30 or 90 days.

10. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

@we_rule
    6 burners in 7 months? do you wear an eye patch and own a parrot? lol, only joking... ive got an external Emprex 8x burner & its probably the best £100 ive spent on my system. had it a year now, still going strong. also got Pioneer 108d and Sony DRU700A-DL, both very good with not much coaster production on either really. ive done PS2 games, movies, data, music on all 3 using mainly discs with Fuji or Ritek dye and V. cheap CD-R's...

11. we_rule

we_rule Member

The Emprex that I used were all 16x internal ones. I bought my sister a 8x internal awhile ago it works great.