1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What all do I need to swap disc drives?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by deftlyded, Apr 12, 2007.

1. deftlyded

deftlyded Member

ok so a friend gave me his "broken" 360. he got mad and ripped the tray out of the disc drive, i got it put back together and it works with some games, that is until it scarred up my brandnew GH2 disc. I want to replace the drive with a standard drive. off ebay or something like that. what is involved in switchin the drives out? any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. wabashman

wabashman Active member

you need to get the drives key off the current drive and flash it onto the new one. check out some of the other threads on this page, theres like two of them relating to this same topic.

3. deftlyded

deftlyded Member

ya did alil more reading after i posted. to dump and then flash the key do i hook the 360 to a computer? im new to the nextgen scene so dont kno much yet.

4. wabashman

wabashman Active member

just read up on how to flash a 360 drive, then you will know how to do it. but yea you have to hook it up to your pc. also make sure you find out what what drive you have samsung, hitachi to make sure you know how to flash each one, since they require different methods and parts.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  5. deftlyded

deftlyded Member

the one in it is a hitachi-lg. ive won a drive off ebay but not sure if its really for a 360. its a philips brand i believe. ebay item110113100080. and heres a newb ? but what kind of cable do i use to link 360 to comp. cat5? usb?

6. wabashman

wabashman Active member

sata cable.
    and i dont think thats a 360 drive, even though it says it in the description. reason being, only drives out are hitachi, samsung, and the benq drive. so yea, you might have just got screwed, but hopefully you paid through paypal so you can get your money back.that and going from his rating, you shouldnt have bought from him. your looking at an average of 17 days before he ships your item..... so best of luck with this transaction my friend. and i dont knwo why he would preflash the drive if it must be flashed with the origonal key to work, seems kind of pointless to me.

and what did you bid on the for if you were unsure if it was even a 360 drive when there are so many out there that are true 360 drives?

7. deftlyded

deftlyded Member

dumb mistake :\ havent paid for it tho so ill report him.

8. deftlyded

deftlyded Member

ok so i get a sata cable, connect old drive, copy the firmware or whatever, hook up new drive and add old firmware? im sure theres alot more to it tho.

9. wabashman

wabashman Active member

yea, thats basically the gist of it. just read up on how to flash a hitachi drive becuase im not going to tell you how to do it since i have a samsung and dont want ot tell you wrong. so just make sure to read up on all the tutorials, i know there are a lot, but believe me it helps to read and then re-read, and re-read again.

10. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

that is is 360 drive except it isn't flashable. its the person who bought its fault. It is useless since i don't think u can dump and flash firmware. google and do some research on lg i think its unmoddable.

http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/dvd/allthreedvdsxs_s400.jpg
    this is the pic of the three drives in 360's now theres benq so there 4 types. benq not moddable either.

im also wondering wth it is preflashed for. plus why sell some shit that is useless and can't do anything with unless you know have the console that it was taken out from. which is impossible. im pretty sure the guy doesn't know what he is selling so tell ebay he has false info and it can't be preflashed and is asis since it won't work as its philips and you can't fix it up for any 360.

11. mddgp

mddgp Member

Just a Idea.. if you have identical drives.. take the good control board out of the drive and put it in place of the control board on the newer drive.. swapping that pcb takes 5 minutes.. just use caution undoing and re-seating the ribbon cables and your all set.

12. deftlyded

deftlyded Member

ok jus got a new hitachi drive off ebay, same model as the one i have. think it would be easier to swap the lens and tray off the new one and try in the old one since the current drive still plays some games or would it be smartest to get the sata stuff for my pc and replace whole drive. I would have to buy a sata card for my pc to do that so im conflicted hehe. any thoughts would be appreciated.

13. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

i think its harder to swap lens idk not sure. u shuld have just bought the laser in that case.

14. deftlyded

deftlyded Member

Ok i got a sata controller for my pc coming and the new drive coming. is there any other hardware i will need to swap drives? do i need a connector kit? like the xector one or is that mainly for backups?

15. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

u can't flash that drive! unless you bought a samsung or hitachi

16. deftlyded

deftlyded Member

ya i dealt with the drive i won that wasnt 360. i got a new hitachi/lg gdr-3120 drive being shipped to me. i just need to kno if i need more than a sata cable to swap drives

17. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

if it looks like the one in the ebay listing its not flashable so ur screud.

there isn't no hitachi/lg gdr-3120? only lg, hitachi, and samsung (/toshiba)

18. deftlyded

deftlyded Member

naw its not the one i listed earlier. its a new hitachi, exact model as one i have in it now. jus gotta make sure i got all the stuff i need to swap em out now. ive been reading but almost everythin i find is just about backing up discs.

19. deftlyded

deftlyded Member

ok this is what i got: original hitachi disc drive in the 360, pc with sata controller card, new hitachi disc drive. do i need a converter to connect the drive to the pc power supply? like a connectivity kit?