1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What all do I need?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by jborlace, Mar 19, 2007.

1. jborlace

jborlace Member

I am getting my 360 back from Microsoft tomorrow.I found a guy close by who will mod it for me.What all do I need to burn the games?I was at Wal-Mart today and they had 2 DVD Burners that were the Dual Layer type.The one I have now isn't DL.One was a LiteOn for 50.00 and a Sony for 70.00.Which one is better?I want to backup my kids Smackdown vs Raw because there original is getting scratched up.Do I have to download the games off the net or can I copy and patch from the original disc?I know that this has probably been asked a million times by other noobs but any help would be appreciated.Thanks!!

2. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

Get the Sony.

3. jborlace

jborlace Member

OK.What else will I need?Programs?

4. nmpue

nmpue Guest

If you want to backup your 360 discs the best and easiest way is to buy a Samsung SH-D162C DVD Rom drive and flash it with Kreon's Firmware.
    This makes it able to read 360 discs.
    There are 2 good programs, Xbox Backup Creator v2.4 and Schtrom v3.2
    After you've ripped it to the hard drive you can burn on to DVD+R DL disc with either CloneCD or ImgBurn.
    If you use ImgBurn you have to set the layer break manually.
    In CloneCD just select the .dvd file and burn.

5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Gotta mention this... alot of the lower end Sony's are rebadged Lite-On's.

Your best bet it to google the model numbers. You might save the $20.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  6. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

I thought they were rebranded BenQ drives.

7. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Some also are. But he mentioned the Lite-On and Sony at Walmart so I suggested just checking out the models. Figuring it's Walmart, I'm sure they're cheaper (not price but quality) burners. No need to waste $20 just for a name.

I wasted money when I bought my Sony DRU-710A a few years back at Best Buy for $100. It was built by Lite-On for Sony. Other than the cost, I have no complaints about the burner, though. Alot of the name brands use lesser known mfg.'s for their lower end products. Sony, Plextor, etc. If money isn't an issue, you won't go wrong with the name brands. People should know their options, though. I learned my lesson so I just figured I'd try to give back some help.

Last spring when I built a new pc, I just opted for a Benq 1655. And now the Pioneer 111d. I didn't need it but got it back when the firmware mod for the 360 came out to see if it was worth the hype it was getting.

8. steimy

steimy Active member

I wasted money when I bought my Sony DRU-710A

Same here. I had the DRU700A (lite-on). Now i will not say it was not a good burner because it did a flawless job for the year that it worked. But it wore out way too soon for what it cost. My BenQ DW1655 which you can get online for $50 (mertline) has done just as well and lasted longer. Plus unlike the Sony i am able to Booktype media.

Also you must consider how you want to burn games. If you are backing them up from an original disc you will also need the Samsung SH-D163A (SATA) or SH-D162C (IDE) drive flashed with the firmware mentioned above (KREON). This will allow your PC to make a copy of an original Xbox 360 game using Xbox Backup Creator. But get one while you can as they are getting harder to find and more expensive since Samsung no longer makes them. http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...ws/&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=sh-d163a&category0=
    http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

I bought the SATA myself as that is what i had space for in my tower.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  9. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

That 700a won't booktype?. My 710a does... I'm using it now for burning Wii games onto +r's as rom's as the Pioneer 111d can't booktype +r's.