1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what am i doing wrong

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kinel, May 6, 2003.

1. kinel

kinel Regular member

ive got a dvdrw+ sony dru-120a and ive backed up devil may cry but i cant get it working it keeps saying insert ps2 disk or format disk ime using nero 5.5 99 my ps2 is v4 anbd ime using ar2 v2this is how i try and boot 1. Have AR/GS dongle in a memory card slot
    2. Power on your PS2
    3. Insert AR/GS disc, close tray
    4. Power off your PS2, wait a few seconds
    5. Press and Hold Reset button to load AR/GS
    6. At the AR2/GS2 menu, press EJECT while still holding Reset
    7. Swap AR/GS disc for an Original-TOC-DVD* and wait 10 seconds
    8. Select "AR/GS Codes"
    9. Highlight "Add new code" and press X to get to the next screen
    10. Press X three times. You will see "Updating code list please wait" each time)
    11. Press "Start" on controller
    12. Select "Without codes", press X
    13. Then Press X again, and immediately release the Reset button, you will see "Updating code list please wait"
    14. The PS2 tray will eject allowing you to swap Original-TOC-DVD* for DVD backup and then close on it’s own
    15. Screen will change and game will now boot ime also using rioch dvrr+ disks it says on disks its for data and video could this be my problem please please help

2. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

You have to have a certain version of AR2/GS2, I think it's 1.9 and 2.0 for the GS as for the AR2 I don't know...Sorry.

3. kinel

kinel Regular member

could it me my media cas i read in a forum i think my version works

4. Oner

Make a backup of a Movie on the media and put it in your PS2. If it works then it is something else besides the media, because a movie backup will play even without a chip and this is the easiest way to find out if your PS2 likes that media.

5. kinel

kinel Regular member

does any one know if this version of ar 2v.2 will work with dvd backup copies or where i can find this out cas i cant find a thread that says about this ive been searching for ages and ages with no joy

6. kinel

kinel Regular member

i just copied my dirst dvd and it works ok so it cant be the media i dont no what ime doing wrong can any one help ime using nero 5.5 neo2.2 and ar2 v 2 i dont no if my boot method is right please please help me

7. Oner

Kinel, try using my tutorial for the Neo 2.2 in the link in my signature below. You might have to try different methods or variations to get it to work (depending on the version of Neo 2.2 chip, AR2 etc.) it is not an exact science.

Keep at it and write down which variations you have tried to keep track. It took me about an hour or so of different variations to get it to work. Hopefully you have the most current Neo chip (there were like 4 diffent types released).

8. Oner

You know what here is the exact tutorial that I used to use.

PS2 with Neo 2.2 modchip & AR/GS, PS2 DVD backup booting

1. Have AR/GS dongle in a memory card slot
    2. Power on your PS2
    8. Select "AR/GS Codes"
    9. Highlight "Add new code" and press X to get to the next screen
    10. Press X three times. You will see "Updating code list please wait" each time)
    11. Press "Start" on controller
    12. Select "Without codes", press X
    13. Then Press X again, and immediately release the Reset button, you will see "Updating code list please wait"
    14. The PS2 tray will eject allowing you to swap Original-TOC-DVD* for DVD backup and then close on it’s own
    15. Screen will change and game will now boot

* Note - "Original-TOC-DVD" is an original DVD that is a larger file size than the backup

* Note – For a shortcut make a few “Add new codes”, or use any title you know you don’t need (you can always reset the dongle) and after step 8 just highlight one of the “newly” added codes or unnecessary ones and press square to delete it, then proceed on with step 11

*Important* You have to have the correct version of AR/GS in order to boot backups

Follow it exactly, it might take a few tries to get used to it. If it doesn't work use variations. The last thing I suggest is doing some research on the Swap Magic discs as I know they work with a Neo 2.2 BUT I do not know if they are compatible with a PAL system.

9. kinel

kinel Regular member

see in your tutorial i cant do some of it with ar2 v2 cas when i go to with codes then new codes and press the x button 3 times it does nothing it just stays on the screnn where u put in the name of code and if i type name of code as xxx then press x it goes to where u type in name of code as oin thee code numbers and letters so i leave it with nothing in it then press x then i goes to updating code list then i carry on with your tutorial and it goes blank or say enet format disk se i dont know when u say press x 3 times what your on about cas if i do that nothing happens may b its cas ime using ar2 v2

10. kinel

kinel Regular member

also my chip is at least two years old could this be the problem

11. Oner

Try some variations. It could be that you are using a AR2 because you are over seas (if I may guess). Don't give up. Write down a few variations. Or try the same one I posted BUT instead of making a new code delete an unused one (you can reset the AR2 at anytime to get all the deleted codes back). Or make some empty codes before even booting and delete that one. That was the shorcut I used to cut the boot process down by a few second and made it easier to do while holding the reset button.

12. kinel

kinel Regular member

see when u say make a new code i put in name of a new code press x then it goes to where u type in code for the cheat but i dont know what to put in theee so i just press z this is what i do after swapping toc disk i press a on action replay codes then go to add new game then select ad new codes then press xnext screnn i leave emptyater ythat it says updating code list then i carry on with your tutorial by the way ime in england why did u say i need to deltet so of the codes dont understand

13. Oner

I am not around my PS2 so I just edited the tutorial above by memory. Give it a try.

1. Have AR/GS dongle in a memory card slot
    2. Power on your PS2
    8. Select "AR/GS Codes"
    9. Highlight any un-needed code and delete it
    10. Press "Start" on controller
    11. Select "Without codes", press X
    12. Then Press X again, and immediately release the Reset button, you will see "Updating code list please wait"
    13. The PS2 tray will eject allowing you to swap Original-TOC-DVD* for DVD backup and then close on it’s own
    14. Screen will change and game will now boot

* Note - "Original-TOC-DVD" is an original DVD that is a larger file size than the backup

*Important* You have to have the correct version of AR/GS in order to boot backups

Last edited: May 29, 2003
  14. kinel

kinel Regular member

na does the same thing goes to red screen insert ps2 format disk i think ime aint gona get this thing working its is thee any other booting procedures that i could use do u think it could be mt media but i used same media for my movie and i worked fine

15. Tyransour

Tyransour Guest

kinel,
    You have AR2 V2.30. You can see the version on the inner ring of the cd.
    This version of ar2 won't work.
    So, stop wasting your valuable game time and get a swap magic 2.

16. kinel

kinel Regular member

i cant see the version in the inner circl of cd i defintly know its ar2 v2 it came with two cds one in english the other forieghn european u sure i cant use this cd

17. Tyransour

Tyransour Guest

are you sure?
    where did you buy it?
    what else does it come with?
    I believe the other cd is the bonus cd for ps1 games.
    Does it come with a memory card?
    it is kinda hidden in the inner circle of the cd. look it carefully.
    If it is 2.3, then it will not work!

18. kinel

kinel Regular member

i bouggt it in virgin games mega store it came with its on memory card the other cd is for foreing languages it plays my cd games ok with no problems bye the way ime in england

19. kinel

kinel Regular member

20. Gsus

Gsus Guest

Its weird! my mates got an AR2 V2 (i'm buying one tommorow) and i play CD backups on it all the time using the swipe card method. I'm in the uk too,
    my friends disc came with an AR bonus disc for ps1. Try the swap method, see if you can work it then.