1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What am I doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rev_baub, Oct 30, 2004.

1. rev_baub

rev_baub Member

I seem to have a problem that is most often associated with the quality of the dvd media.

My problem is that every disc I burn comes out with the freezing problems in the last chapter or so. Now, I have tried several brands of media, and am currently using Memorex DVD+R 4x thermal Inkjet printables. I have a LiteOn SOHW-812S. This is a Combo drive that also burns CDs. I am using DVD Shrink to rip the dvd, and I have tried burning with DVD Decryptor, and Nero, with the same results. For a while I unchecked the Finalize box in nero or the "lock-volume" box in decryptor and I had some success, but all the sudden it is not working again after I tried to update nero. I have removed everything and reinstalled the software, and it still does not work. Also, even on the good burns, dvd shrink will not read them to let me copy again. Can anyone help?

Thanks

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rev_baub,
    Try setting the target size in dvd shrink between 4300- 4400 MB. Stay away from memorex and retail store brand name media.

4. rev_baub

rev_baub Member

I tried both suggestions, I was shrinking to 4360, and I tried the 2x burning, to no avail. This is not a media problem. It has to be a driver or something but I don't know what.

5. rev_baub

rev_baub Member

okay, I went and got some prodisk 4x dvd-r, which I am told are just about as good as ritek, and same problem. Could this be a driver issue?

6. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

OK,bare with me. This is what I discovered. I'm assuming that your getting the freezing and skipping on your stand alone dvd player and not on your pc, correct? Some stand alones don't like certain media. When I first started out I used Comp USA disks (media ID CMC Mag). They all played great in my Sanyo DVM-390. I then bought a Sanyo dvd/vhs combo for the bedroom and the disks would freeze,skip or stop some of the time. I now also have a Phillips dvd/vhs combo in the living room and this also has problems with these disks, heck it sometimes won't even play the originals!! In Shrink I set the target size to 4300 as a dvd is actually 4.37 not 4.7. I now use Maxell 2x-4x (yellow tops) Dvd-r (media Id's have been so far mxlrg02 and ty something I forget but its TaiyoYuden)all quality according to my media guide at nomorecoasters.com. In dvd decrypter it will show you the media ID when you load the blank. I've been burning at 4x and they now play in all my machines. Not one problem so far. I did get alot of I/O errors when I went to the latest version of decrypter. I uninstalled completely my Roxio dvd basic 6.0 and this problem went away. Make sure you have no packet writing software (roxio drag to disk,etc.) on your computer also if you have dsl or cable disable it when doing video. As for recopying I just reinstall Roxio and made a copy of a copy. I've also taken some of my problem disks and recopyed them to maxell using Roxio and 90% I'd say have no problems now. I hope this is some useful input.