1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are Bit Torrents?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Jaymos, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Jaymos

Jaymos Member

Hi everyone.

I'm new to AfterDawn and to Bit Torrents. I use eMule for all my downloads, but many have said that BT are better and faster to download.

How do I download BT?

Do I need to download a program first?

Regards

2. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

BT is an Internet Protocol/File transfer protocol. Pretty much BT doesnt depend on one server/person to serve a given file in order for others to get that same file. Everyone that is downloading the file is also uploading at the same tyme thus you get faster speeds, less chance of corrupted data.

anyway, yes you need to install a BT client first before you can start using BT.. there's a ton of BT clients out there : Burst!, BitComet, BitTorando,BitStorm etc.. Do some research and pick the client you feel is best for you and what you think your going need. I personally use BitComet & burst!

Once you get your client installed and configured you can start looking for the actual BT files called torrents to download.. BTW, all the torrent is a 'roadmap' for your client to follow; where the file is being hosted, number of files, Hashcheck info etc..

There's hundreds of BT sites out there.. Search the File sharing forum here at aD and you should find the list of Torrent sites listed here. Its a lil outta date tho but nothing a Google search for Torrent sites cant fix :}

GOod luck and have fun!