1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are Dummy Sectors?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Synthetix, May 1, 2005.

1. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

Can someone give me a brief explanation on this? I was backing up my copy of Flying House of Daggers. Everything went well, but i noticed the decrypter log said "Inserting Dummy Sectors".......also, i noticed that the movie does not start right away like other ones. There's a black screen for about a minute, then it starts. When dummy sectors are inserted, does this mean a scene is deleted?

2. hursty

hursty Active member

it sounds like the app' is inserting dummy sector's to replace damaged scenes/frames,
    i sometimes get this using dvixdvd when converting avi's,(it will replace damaged frames)allowing the conversion to carry on

3. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

When i get this I get "Structure protection detected" before it says "Inserting Dummy Sectors".

So decrypter puts dummy ones in so the film is playable, I don't think it makes a difference to the playback.

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes DD puts in dummy blocks when it finds a new type protection...

did you do all the dvd then? as the black screen is where the dummys go? you can edit it out in shrink

5. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

thanx, yeah, i edited the black screen. I double checked the original, what it actually took out was all the copywrited scenes, and FBI warnings. But i already edited, thanx to all!

6. Bruce999

Bruce999 Regular member

A new form of copy protection which just appeared this year is called "Sony ArCCos Copy Protection." It involves some built in structure protection. It seems to be showing up on most of the new discs which come from Columbia or Tristar or Sony.

The latest release of DVDDecrypter was designed to get around this. DVDshrink is pretty useless on these discs, if ripping directly from the original DVD. (It can be used after a rip, of course, to shrink the resulting rip).

Do a search on this forum and some of the others, and try these search terms:

"ArCCos"
    "Structure Protection"
    "Dancing Boy" and "Jumping Boy"
    "The Grudge" and "Forgotten"

After successfully ripping, you can end up with from 3 to 7 minutes of "black screen" prior to the beginning of the main feature. Theere are solutions to avoid this happening, including simply "cutting" or "deleting" the offending frames.

Here is a link to a pretty good description of the various problems so far, and some of the solutions:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46190

Hope this helps,

-Bruce
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46190

7. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

Thanx, now im checking every movie for the blank black screen. I just edit it w/dvd shrink when i first see an image. Thanx again!

8. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

By the way, didnt notice until yesterday, but spanglish is like this too.