1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what are possible causes of games that skip?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by showan, Apr 23, 2005.

1. showan

showan Regular member

Hey all.

Lately I've been noticing that my PS2 has been skipping while playing games. I notice this most with backups but it has been doing this with original disks as well (although not as much). As far as burning the games go I am doing that right. I have tried the same disks that skip on friends' systems and they work fine. So far I have opened the PS2 and cleaned the lens with some rubbing alcohol hoping that would work. It didn't do much as my PS2 is almost perfectly clean to begin with.

I was wondering what other kinds of things would cause games to skip on a PS2. Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this and how to fix them?

2. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

try adjusting the laser angle.

3. hursty

hursty Active member

maybe your ps2 doesnt like the disc's
    are they cheap?
    if so,get some decent ones,ones with the ritek GO4 id code

4. showan

showan Regular member

the disks I'm using lately are verbatim. They're supposed to be one of the best brands. Maybe I will try again using a different media and see if that works.

What is the theory behind adjusting the laser angle? How would that go out of alingment to begin with?

Also my PS2 sounds kinda noisy when the motor moves back and forth. Would greasing this help?

5. hursty

hursty Active member

i'm not one for messing around inside the ps2,i have never had to,and i have had ps2's for years,
    before you start messing around in there,
    i would try other routes first

yes, verbatim is supposed to be one of the best media,but i have never used it,so i cant vouch for it.
    i would try other brands first,burning at different speeds,
    at least rule out the possibilty of the media being the issue,

just because it works on your friends,doesnt mean it should work on yours,
    i have friends who have games who cant get them to work,but they work on mine?????
    all i do is make another copy on different media,and hey presto it now works on his ps2